Leinenkugles red all grain recipe search ? ? ?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Leinenkugles red all grain recipe search ? ? ?

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Does anyone have an all grain recipe for Leinie's Red. If you ever had one, you'd be hooked too, can't buy any here is SC, can only remember the taste on my lips of that necter.

Paco.
Gambrinus

More info tomorrow

Post by Gambrinus »

I don't have an exact recipe, but I can get you pretty close. I'll give you more detail tomorrow.
Gambrinus

Some basic info

Post by Gambrinus »

Here's the info I have

Base malt is Rahr 2-row
Color comes from Caramel 60L
Bittering hops are Cluster
Flavor hops are Mt. Hood

20 SRM
21 IBU
3.85% abv

Hope this helps. Malt bill should be about 75% 2-row and 25% Caramel 60, I believe. This should get you in the ballpark.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Speaking of reds

Post by fitz »

Granted, that an American red ale, is a sub category of an amber ale, but is there any guidlines for this particular style. I don't see a category, and I would like to know a little more about it. I figured on going 75% 25% on German light and dark crystal, and then proceeding from there with the hops. Probably cascade to fit the American typical taste, just a higher rate. Any hints or clues? I guess it would be a west coast red to better define it. Have never had Leinie's, so I don't know if this is even close.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

American Red Ale... "the un-style"...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

As of yet there is no such style as an American Red Ale as defined by BJCP or GABF. They did, however, change the same style classification name in the GABF to American Amber/Red Style Ale, but the specs are the same. Also, they created an actual style specification that used not to exist, Irish Style Red Ale.

Follow the guidelines for the Amber style and to give it the typical red hue, use a very small amount of roasted barley (.75~1.5%). Simply using caramel malts will not give the same color effect. Roasted barley is what all of the pro-brewers I know use, but I have also used chocolate malt to reach a similar color as well.

Eric