Knock... Knock... Freon....

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Knock... Knock... Freon....

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

I remember a thread a while back where you were experimenting with various Weizen yeast strains and temperatures in pursuit of Hefeperfection. What strains were you using, what flavors did you note and what was your favorite?

I have only used 1 strain before and might try something else. I never was a big HW fan, so my strain knowledge is limited to the one I have used in he past and technical literature which sometimes doesn't give the whole picture.

We replace our Stout tap with Hefe for service all summer and I am going to start production in mid May.

Eric
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Thanks!

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

I'm doing 62/37 Pils/wheat, so I'll probably go with the 380 @ 75.

Eric
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Two roads

Post by Freon12 »

I prefer Whitelabs wlp300 due to the fact that I love the banana nose at 78f.

I have tried 3068 which is close but seems weak as far as aroma regardless of tempreture.

3333 is more mild and would be o.k. if there was something extra in the beer, if you you what I mean. It has really low spice notes as compared to the whitelab products.

If you wish to have clove and lower banana, chose wlp380 and ferment at 74f. If you wish the banana blast, use wlp300 at 78f.

wlp300 is traditional at 73f and wlp 380 is spicey at 75f. For some reason, wlp380 likes higher tempretures and has higher clove notes.

The above is based on a recipe of 50% german wheat and 50% german lager.

Thats all I know.

S.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Reread above

Post by Freon12 »

I have edited the above and changed the 380 to 300 in two places. I think you may want wlp300@ 75 since that would be the classic.

Freon "the bumbling typist"