eric

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

eric

Post by dartedplus »

BTW, thanks for the SG formulae for the refractometer. I finally plugged it into a spreadsheet, which makes the calcs as easy as plugging in my 2 variables
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Seeing the Light....

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Glad you could use the refractometer conversions. Sure beats wasting beer in a hydrometer flask !

Eric
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

problem

Post by dartedplus »

my only problem now is that the numbers aren't changing....I have a stuck ferm. I have to wait until Weds so that I can get some more yeast. So I plan on making another starter and shaking the snot out of it so it has plenty of oxygen, and then racking the wort off the old stuff and onto the starter. I guess I cant aerate it anymore can I (without harmful affects)???

any suggestions would be appreciated
Ed
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Don't Shake the 1st Primary !

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

I wasn't sure if you meant shaking the starter or the stuck primary, so... Answer #1: If you are going to transfer the initial wort from the stuck primary onto an active culture, make sure NOT to shake it ! You have already settled the cold break, so you might as well use this as an advantage when you transfer. Make sure to splash that wort about creating lots of foam when you rack and this should introduce enough O2 for the job. Or answer #2: Simply shaking the starter will not do anything for O2 in the wort. The reason is that if the yeast in the starter have gone beyond reproduction, they have already passed the need for O2. Once introduced into the new wort, they will go back into respiration phase... thats where they need to O2... and alot more than you could have introduced into the starter.

Eric
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

shake secondary and drink fast

Post by Gravity Thrills »

Ed,

My understanding of the ills of late introduction of oxygen into wort is basically that the oxidation and staling processes will be greatly accelerated. As such, if your wort needs oxygen give it some (leaving the settled protein material behind in a prior vessel as Eric said). Then just be prepared to drink the batch within a month or so after packaging before it starts to get that cardboard taste. Tough job drinking lots of homebrew, but I know you're up to it!

Cheers,
Jim
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Not a Problem

Post by dartedplus »

I dont think that will be a problem since I am out of homebrew!!!!! I dont know how I allowed this to happen, well I guess it was because my RIMS wasn't ready yet. But still, how could one be so blind to not see the diminishing reserves and not take action. I should be ashamed of myself.
On a more positive note....it seems to be fermenting again, thank God.
Later,
Ed