Eric...re: frambois

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Eric...re: frambois

Post by dartedplus »

"lambic blend cultures" .....what all is in this, is this a yeast blend I can buy, or is it several commercial ones put together???
Ed
Payson
Light Lager
Light Lager

Yeast

Post by Payson »

Ed-
I used a commercially available Lambic Blend from Wyeast. The # eludes me but it had the lactobaccillus etc... all in one pouch. I hate to bad mouth my efforts by saying this but so far so good.
Chris
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Lambipropriates: WY: 3278, 3112, 3526...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Any of the following are style appropriate choices for Lambics. Choose one based on the desired outcome. My favorite is WY3763, which was once only sold to commercial brewers, but just became available to homebrewers. Check this link for a description: http://www.wyeastlab.com/hbrew/roesalare.htm

Here are the other descriptions (in order of my preference):

3278 Belgian Lambic blend
Contains a selection of Saccharomyces cerevisiae which include Belgian style wheat beer yeast, sherry yeast, two Brettanomyces strains and Lactic Acid Bacteria. While this mixture does not include all possible cultures found in Belgian Lambics, it is representative of the organisms which are most important for the desirable flavor components of these beer styles. Individual components available from this blend are numbered below. Flocculation low to medium; apparent attenuation 65-75%. (63-75o F)

3112 Brettanomyces bruxellensis
Wild yeast isolated from brewery cultures in the Brussels region of Belgium. Produces the classic sweaty horse hair character indigenous to beers of this region; gueuze, lambics, sour browns. Ferments best in worts with lower pH after primary fermentation has begun. This strain is generally used in conjunction with S. Cerevisiae as well as other wild yeast and lactic bacteria. Produces some acidity and may form a pellicle in bottles or casks. Generally requires 3-6 months aging for flavor to fully develop. Flocculation medium; apparent attenuation low. (60-75o F)

3526 Brettanomyces lambicus
Wild yeast isolated from Belgian lambic beers. Produces a pie cherry like flavor and sourness along with distinct brett character. Ferments best in worts with reduced pH after primary fermentation has begun, and may form a pellicle in bottles or casks. Works best in conjunction with other yeast and lactic bacteria to produce the classic Belgian character. Generally requires 3-6 months of aging to fully develop flavor characteristics. Flocculation medium; apparent attenuation low. (60-75o F)

Eric