Deflated

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Deflated

Post by dartedplus »

I am feeling a little deflated, I just got the results from the competition that I entered my rauchbier in. I only scored 26 out of 50.....and I thought his was the best beer I have ever made. OK, so it was a little cloudy, but they really ripped me apart, plus on of the 2 judges that did my beer didnt like smoked beers!!!!! Oh well, I did get some insights into what they are looking for. They did both give me the same score, so it was consistent. One was a certified judge and the other was a "grand master" judge. Whatever, I liked my beer and I guess thats what counts. Screw them, I dont think I will change a thing.

whew, I'm glad I got that off my chest
ed
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Move on -- it's okay!

Post by Push Eject »

It sounds like you may have entered the contest for the wrong reason.

I have always looked at contests as a great way to get IMPARTIAL opinions on my brews. Maybe not the opinion I want, but an educated one, nonetheless.

Just take your results for what they are worth. If there is something to learn from them, learn it (otherwise you've wasted your entry fee), if there's nothing to learn from them, LEAVE 'EM.

It's that easy.

If all you want is good feedback just keep handing homebrews out to your friends. :)

If it makes you feel any better let me post one of my worst judge's comments:

"Nice malt -- overdone on the smoky. Maybe too sweet. Don't like the smokyness -- is it liquid smoke? Tastes like it."

I mentally thank this judge for teaching me that such an opinion could even exist.

Cheers!
Charlie
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

No worries!

Post by Gravity Thrills »

They could not have possibly tasted the rauch I tasted.

I gave up on competitions a few years ago because I felt I lost control of the beer once I sent it out. The mail system tended to place my beers in the worst possible orientation for yeast seriment to end up in the neck, plus you have no idea what temperature changes the eer has been through. Judges knew full well the yeast ring in the bottle necks was the result of shipping and (right or wrong) I lost points for it. Now that CP fill bottles from the keg I might try competition again, but I just find it sooo hard to give up the beer :-)

Cheers,
Jim
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Judges....

Post by Freon12 »

Speaking of taking it like a man, I don't recall getting any feed back(that had any detail) from you people that know who you are! Was it that bad! Ow.oooh yow. C'mon now.

S.
stouts
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Poor judges

Post by stouts »

I agree,
Don't worry about it. One of the first things I remeber reading in the BJCP study guide was always give positive feedback. If it needs work or may not match the style guidelines make a suggestion, but never slam on somebody's brew. Sounds like you entered an adequate beer, but had inadequate judges. Better luck next time.
Jay
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

nyehtt??

Post by Gravity Thrills »

If you are referring to that tzarist concoction back from before you had sired your child (seems like a long time ago, eh?), my impressions on it are a bit hazy. I guess that means you're just gonna have to make some more, right?
Save The Ales

Keep On

Post by Save The Ales »

Ed,

You brew it, you like it. That, in my opinion, makes you the winner!

Paul