Lambic....again

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Payson
Light Lager
Light Lager

Lambic....again

Post by Payson »

Sorry to "beat a dead horse" and plague the site with my questions regarding Framboise Lambic but once again I need help. Earlier I received excellent advice regarding this unique and delectable style. Last night I transferred it to a tertiary carboy. As is usually the case, some of the concoction "fell into my mouth." I thought it was quite tasty, beautiful color and aroma etc... My girlfriend on the other hand felt it lacked adequate sourness. (Even with the use of the Wyeast Belgian Lambic Blend) My question therefore is this: will the sourness become more pronounced with ageing or is there an additional step I can take at this point to boost its "pucker". Thanks again in advance for any help.
Chris
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

should sour in time

Post by Gravity Thrills »

Hopefully Eric will chime in ans give an authoritative answer, but from what I understand, yes the nuances provided by the Lactobacilus and the Bretanomyces will become more pronounced over time.

Cheers,
Jim
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

"to Brew" List

Post by dartedplus »

I was out and about this weekend and had the chance to have a glass of Lindemans Framboise. After my wife tasted it, she insisted that I make some. Once I told her that I had just acquired a recipe for it she was VERY happy. So now I guess I have to move it up on the list. But which beers get bumped down???? On another note, I will probably complete my Draft Beer box tonight, at leaast the construction part of it. I dont have the cornies or the CO2 setup yet, but I will be able to make some lagers even during the warmer months. So a couple of you know what I will be making again!!!!

later,
E
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Give it time...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Once the yeast that remains in suspension goes dormant, the lactic acid producing bacteria will continue to attenuate the sugars that the yeast did not or could not eat. This will produce the results you are looking for. The big thing to remeber with Lambics, Saisons, Oud Bruins... all the soured and "horsey" flavored brews take a LONG time to reveal their true character. My first Lambic almost became drain cleaner when I tasted it at about 2 months old, but I stuck it out. At year one this stuff ruled!!!

Eric
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Wealthy brewers

Post by Freon12 »

I have not considered this style due to the fact that one must use a seperate set of equipment to make it or risk contaminating the rest with a very hard to get rid of bacteria.

S.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

glass???

Post by dartedplus »

even if you just use glass carboys???? rubber stoppers and check valves are cheap enough to toss, I probably need some new ones anyhow. Syphon hose is cheap too. What other equipment would there be to ruin???

E
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Spruce Goose?

It sounds like good Sir Freon is just a bit germaphobic - probably living like Howard Hughes and slowly losing his marbles. Wait, I did that too... it's called early fatherhood!
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Fruitless is good too!

As much as I love the Lindeman's and Timmermans Fruit lambic offerings, I am still way partial to the gueuze. In the case of Lindeman's, I have to drive across the state to get the gueuze, which doesn't make sense to me since I can get the three fruit varieties down the street. But boy is that good stuff!

Sounds like a rauch might be rearing its smokey little head again soon, hmm?

Cheers,
Jim
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Problems

Post by dartedplus »

I had some problems with the hinges and the closures, but it wont take me long to fix that.

I had the rauch in a competition this weekend, but dont know how i did yet, I'll let you know when I find out.

Mmmmmmmmmmm, smokey goodness....
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Easy!

Post by Freon12 »

You how sensitive I am. ;)

To bateria that is.

S.