S-23 Update

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

S-23 Update

Post by BillyBock »

A while back I had asked folks about dry lager yeast recommendations. I believed I was having some problems with adequate pitching rates, and making starters was getting to be a PITA. So, I ended up using S-23 Saflager, and am quite impressed with it. I've previously use S-04 Safale and was equally impressed on an IPA I made with it. I used S-23 on a Fat Tire clone recipe, since I didn't have the ability to keep ale temperatures, I fermented at 50*-55*F.

First of all, it didn't belch sulfur like some other lager yeasts I've used. The aroma coming from the airlock was all about the ingredients, which smelled like muffins in this case. This aspect was important to me for reducing cycle time--I didn't want to have to wait to purge the beer of sulfur volatiles so I could get started with conditioning.

Secondly, they say it's not the "cleanest" yeast as it will produce some esters at it's upper temperature end. I deliberately used this to my advantage since I was attempting to make an ale originally. In the end I guess it's really an amber lager, or wanna-be ale, but who cares? It tastes good and malty! I couldn't detect any appreciable off flavors, like diacetyl or such. As a matter of fact it tasted pretty clean to me.

As far as pitching rates, I pitched 3 packets (33 g) of it without rehydrating. It was a subdued and controlled ferment, the krausen never rose more than 1/2" above the fluid, at most no more than 3/4". However, don't let this fool you...it achieved 75% attenuation, OG=1.048, FG=1.012

My next attempt will be to ferment a stout with it. Mmmmm mmmmm, my taste buds are watering now.

Bottome line: For my money, S-23 is a good yeast and one that I'll repeatedly use to make my house beers along with S-04. Try it, Mikey, you'll like it :-)

v/r
Bill
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I'll have to do a side by side

Post by fitz »

I'll have to try it in a side by side test with Superior. Superior has been my choice for lager yeasts, because it is so clean. I never experienced the sulpher from it, but have noticed it in others in the past, and do not use them anymore. I'll do a trial with my own harp lager clone, which I'll have to say is close to the real thing. The original, not the Canadian imposter. As said before, not offense to Canadians, but it would be like A B making Moosehead or Labat's. Anyway, thanks for the info. it would be interesting to see the results.
I'm happy with Superior, but I like to experiment.