Monel Brew Kettle?

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Gregg

Monel Brew Kettle?

Post by Gregg »

Hi- I'm brand-new to this forum; I have been homebrewing for about 14 years and all-grain for two. I currently do (mostly) 10 gallon batches in converted kegs/coolers.

I recently came across an old hot water heater that had ('till I removed it!) a 42-gallon Monel internal tank. Monel is:
Nickel 63.00/70.00%
Iron 2.50% max.
Manganese 2.00% max.
Carbon 0.30% max.
Silicon 0.50% max.
Copper Balance

I know whole breweries have been made out of this metal alloy. I am thinking of cutting off the top of this tank and using it as a brew kettle (it already has two couplings near the bottom). Does anyone know if there are any health issues (as with aluminum, perhaps) with Monel? Also, the tank is tall (42") and narrow (17" diameter). How do you think this will affect the boil (besides making stirring more challenging).

Thanks.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

aluminum

Post by dartedplus »

I've never heard of monel, and there is nothing wrong with aluminum
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

ANSWERS

Post by Gravity Thrills »

Dart, here are the facts.

Mon-El is a founding member of 30th-century Earth's Legion of Superheros. he had similar super powers to Superboy, and his Krypton-esque name actually comes from the fact that he was originally believed to be a long-lost relative of Kal-El (Superboy), also orphaned when that doomed planet exploded that grim day long ago. The fact that Mon-El ("Mon" to his friends, including that hot Legionaire Saturn Girl - hubba hubba)was not vulnerable to kryptonite led to the eventual discovery that he was not a scion of Krypton. He is, however, vulnerable to lead in much the same way Superboy is vulberable to the green variety of kryptonite. I may be missing a few details, as these are recollections from when I more closely followed the exploits of the 30th century back in my youth.

As far as aluminum not being dangerous - says who? back in college I saw a fratboy try to crush an aluminum beer can with his head and he ended up with a concussion. I am not sure if he drained the contents of the can first.

You have questions, I have answers.
Jim
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Funny..

Post by dartedplus »

you must have been at work when you came up with that one!!!! I have sent 2 bottles of the rauch off to a competition. I only have 2 left. :-(
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

should do well

I'm sure the rauchbier will rate highly in competition, especially in a smoked or specialty field of entries.

Yeah, yesterday was one of those work days where I was employing percussive maintenance on one computer in teh office and slacking off on the other computer in between restarts.
Gregg

Thanks anyway

Post by Gregg »

Hey guys, thanks for the less than useful and off-topic replies- I didn't know this forum would be so helpful...
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

sorry, Gregg

Please accept apologies for the irreverent responses to what was, of course, a perfectly valid question. Our trouble is that when we don't have an answer we start to blather on. I hope it doesn't turn you off of the forum because it is a great source of information that answers 90% of all questions raised and starts a lot of good discussions. As a 14-year veteran you would also be a valued contributor. You should read the thread above as nothing other than a question you stumped the panek on, and also an online community that likes to have a little fun and not take ourselves too seriously.

The lack of activity on the board right now is also uncharacteristic. Everybody is preoccupied I think - almost as if there was something really big going on elsewhere in the world right now. I'd better go turn on the TV and look into it...

Cheers,
Jim
Gregg

Thanks...

Post by Gregg »

Apology accepted Jim... I guess I was looking for a serious discussion and reacted...

So I'm sorry too and will post what I find out about Monel and brewing(I posted the same question to two other forums).

Gregg.
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

No Worries

Gregg,

If any of us out here has any remotely useful information on a topic, rest assured it will get posted. Also, one tangential post usually doesn't stop those out there that have anu useful info from posting, but I am sorry to have gotten your first forum experience off to a dubious start. I look forward to hearing what you do find out about the metals in question.

Cheers,
Jim