Who are you?

What is happening in the world of brewing? Competitions, festivals, seminars, tastings and club events. Personal experiences and victories.

Moderator: slothrob

Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

Glassblower and....

Post by Fraoch »

Im a glassblower, have been for 16 years and i make a living in the neon industry.worked in film,Tv etc.Now living in Ausralia with young family(20 month old boy) i do a nice sideline in tattooing on the weekends.When i can I brew 10 gal batches of all grain.I started because i was disappointed with Aussie beers, the lack of depth,variety etc( this is now changing and craft breweries are emerging, THANK GOD!!!!!, watch this space regarding where to find a decent pint when in Oz),i started some 4 years back with kits and hated them so i went straight to all grain.It was like giving birth to a whole new taste experience and now i find it hard to appreciate most commercial beers including a lot of my old favourite english ones,( apart from TimothyTaylors Landlord Pale, now this IS beer!!!).Havent looked back since.I honestly envision myself as an old man still cracking his grains,after all, where else are you going to get a good pint???
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Caught it

Post by fitz »

I caught your article. May have to give Olf Fart Knocker a try. I'll try to write an article once the house is done, maybe I'll write it on how to get your wife to agree to a brewery and bar in your house. Maybe I should be in the negotiation for the UN.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I'm Just A.....

Post by dartedplus »

I'm just your narmal everyday stay-at-home dad. I used to do other stuff and have a storied past as far as jobs, but now I just take care of Zachary. Its one hellava job!!!!! I LOVE beer, and I love to make things so brewing is a good hobby to put both of those to good use. I started with extracts, brewed for about a year, then stopped for a bout 3 years. Then I started again and after 2 more batches figured I would try all grain. And have been doing that for about 3 years now. I am in the process of making a stand alone RIMS system, and then hopefully talking my wife in to kegging. Thats about it.....

Ed
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

we fipped a coin

Post by Gravity Thrills »

When it came time to decide who got to stay home when our kids came, neither of us wanted to work and we both wanted to stay home. I hade the marginally better-paying gig and so I got stuck, though for the last few years up until a couple months ago I had enough flexability to stay home a couple days a week and work nights and weekends to make up the time.

Now hat my 3-yr old is becoming a major terror, though, I kind of look forward to going to work most days :-)
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

No such thing

Post by fitz »

There is no such thing as just as stay at home Dad. You probably have the hardest, but the best job of all of us. Yes, I'm a little green with envy. You'll like kegging, and your wife will like not having as many bottles sitting in the sink or in boxes in the pantry, etc. My problem is I like variety, so I have to make a bunch of different kinds of beer, then I don't have enough kegs, or bottles or soda bottles in a real pinch(only for very short term storage).
johnbarley
Light Lager
Light Lager

Who am I?

Post by johnbarley »

Not sure if I really know who I am but.......
I work for the government in Military Contracting Management on the east coast. And I'm also in the Air Force reserves, where I work on C-5 (big !@# cargo plane) avionics systems i.e. autopilot, instruments, navigation and all test equipment related to my job, which has taken me away from my civilian life for at least a year or so (again!). I started brewing last year and I'm on my 4th batch of extract brewing. I would love to get into all grain but don't think I have the time for it. Will have to see. Also started collecting soda kegs and looking at college fridges to start kegging. So far wife hasn't said no about any of my ideas yet, which is good. But I enjoy the hobby and love the final product! Doesn't get any better than this!

John Barley (Corn)