who has a mag. stirrer??

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

who has a mag. stirrer??

Post by dartedplus »

I just needed to know how big of a stirring bar I need to get. I have a 100ml flask that is about 4 in across at the bottom. How big should the rod be?? Also, I'll probably get a bigger flask at some point, will I need a bigger rod for that??
Ed
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Small

Post by Freon12 »

I use a small 1/2" bar in both sizes and it's fine. I also use a 1 1/2" in the 2000ml if I want to use it all the way full.

S.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

next question

Post by dartedplus »

OK, so where do I get a couple????

Steve, mmmmmmmmmm???????
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

fisher scientific

Post by Freon12 »

Or www.coleparmer.com. Of coarse there may be ways to get used ones, but ask Gravity if he would use a used flask or bar. Not.(Break out the horrer stories)

S.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

got one

Post by dartedplus »

I found one at fisher....2.99....probably $5 shipping though...lol
e

the recipe for the rauchbier is under "smoke signal" in the library
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

What a waste...

Post by Gravity Thrills »

My institution's biomedical research and aquaculture divisions have got all kinds of sweet gear that can be used for fermenters and such, and it does trickle down through the rest of the facility sometimes when they upgrade. But, having some awareness of the types of things that have been in them, you are right I would pass on trying to re-purpose anthing that is not glass or stainless and very autoclav-able for brewing. That would go for the mag stirrers as well.

There is this set of big demi-johns gathering dust at the microbial fermentation lab that I would like to put to use, though...
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

aquaculture??

Post by jayhawk »

What sort of stuff does your institution do regarding aquaculture? Up here in BC right now there is a helluva storm over fish farming on our coast. I seems as though sea lice infestations from the fish farms are hammering the snot out of the wild stocks as they migrate past the farms. Curious to know what research is going on down there.
Chris
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

grow your own

Post by Gravity Thrills »

Yeah, all the diminishing wild salmon stocks out your way do present difficulties with regard to cage-cultured stocks. Not just sea lice, but the potential to introduce disease and genetic "pollution" when captive stocks escape. I back the efforts of BC and maine to try to make a go of cage-cultured salmon, but both industries and or adjacent natural ecosystems are paying the price right now.

My institution mostly does hard clam (Mercenaria mercenaria) hatchery work - we supply most of the Florida farmers with their seedstock. we also are involved in research aspects of high-intensity (heavy stocking, feeding) closed-system (no pollution) shrimp farming, development of disease-resistent and specific-pathogen-free shrimp stock, marine ornamental culture, Caribbean conch culture, and the advancement of recirculating, closed cultuure systems.

I hope you're a seafood lover living where you do
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Sushi

Post by jayhawk »

Sushi restuarants are a dime a dozen out here...too bad eh? Gotta love them dynamite rolls! In principle I have no problem with farming fish. However, the industry really has a long way to go in terms of improving its practices. The amount of risk they pose to our wild stocks is just to high. A major pink salmon run has been nearly wiped out here due to infestation of young smolts by sea lice. The industry is going to have to move to close net pen systems if they want to stay in business here. The people are restless and are not about to let farms damage the sacred wild stocks.

Wasabi
Chris