American Wheat

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Raydownunder
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

American Wheat

Post by Raydownunder »

G'day

Well the question is, I have never tried an American wheat beer as its a big swim to get there and drink one.

I want to make one soon and you guys and girls (is there any girls), may be able to help me.

Can you steer me in the right direction of a good American Wheat beer recipe, as what I can see on the recipe's, all sorts of ingredients are used. I have the Whitelabs yeast but can only get my hands on Australian Wheat malt or German wheat light and dark. I would prefer the German Wheat as I have better result from it.

Thanks for any help
Ray Mills

P.S. The most awarded Craftbrewer in Australia is a Woman, and her biggest competitor is her husband. True

Cheers!
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

OBERON

Post by Freon12 »

I have been working on the recipe for Oberon (Soltis)out of Bell's brewery. Very good.
Anyway, wyeast 1056 is very close to what I want.
American wheat should be 25-35% wheat malt and can use corn and/or rice with lager malt.

Here is what I have:

25% wheat 10% flaked corn 65% Base malt

Mash with Protein rest at 120f 15min.
154f until converstion

O.G. 1.043 to 1.038
F.G. 1.008 to 1.018

Hops: Cascade for boiling 5.5aa .5oz 60 min.
Hallertau 4.5aa .25oz 15 min.
Hallertau 4.5aa .25oz for 1 min.

Color 3srm
13.9 IBU total
4.62% abv

I am planning to try a lager version of this Shhhh.

From the "Yanks"
Steve
Raydownunder
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Flaked Corn

Post by Raydownunder »

Thanks Steve

I do not brew with many adjacents, do I need to purchase the flakes corn from a health food shop or do I purchase the stock standard corn flakes from the supermarket.

Cheers
Ray Mills
scruz

your missing some stuff

Post by scruz »

first, i would increase the wheat in your bill. this is close to a wit beir. i would also add some nice, freshly grounded coriander to the recipe towards the end of the boil. that is what gives oberon (one of my all time fave biers) its spicy bite. Oh and dont forget some orange zest, a very small amount and very near the end of the boil. this gives OBERON Ale its "sunny, solstice" almost sweet, citrusy flavor. also, do away with the cascades and hallertauer hops. this is a job for saaz hops. i would also culture a starter of yeast from a bottle of Oberon. 1056 is close, but i dont think that it will give entirely what you want. if it is possible and you can brew a wit bier, use that yeast either wyeast (forgot #?) or White Labs. you will get a closer mouth feel and flavor. the cloudiness of the original will also be there. And to you BELLS thanks a millon for the brew. to those of you that dont know, Bells Brewery is in Kalamazoo MI. Great beer and great food in the restaurant. heading up that way this weekend , maybe ill stop by. Best brewing to you.
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I Hear Bells

Post by Gravity Thrills »

I second the kudos for Bells (love their brown too). It's good to see good beer coming out of midwest - it ALMOST makes me want to move back up there (until I see the weather reports). Three Floyds, New Glarus, and Third Coast were some other good midwest micros that sadly waited until I was well out of their distribution range before opening up, but hey that's what visiting the folks is for, right?

Now, I can't talk for Steve, but as for the question, "can the man brew a wit?"... shoot, he had us all brewin' them a few months back!

Cheers,
Jim
Raydownunder
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Yankie Wheat

Post by Raydownunder »

G'Day

I have looked at the recipe Steve gave me and I thank him very much, I will give it a go with a litte more wheat and a little Carawheat for wheat aroma. The hops look good and I will leave tham at that. I have sorted out the corn as we do have Maize downunder.

Seeing I have never taste the beer, I will not add the spices, I just wanted a good American Wheat. Then again keep it up I could have a GREAT BEER.
Cheers
Ray Mills