corn??

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

corn??

Post by dartedplus »

okay, I know this will probably draw some concerns, but I think I would like to throw some flaked corn into my next brew, just to see what I get. How much would be enough/too much??? I know some of the major brewers use corn in their products, but in what form???

just looking for some opinions
Ed
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

Corn is ok.

Post by Brewer2001 »

Ed,

Corn is a good adjunct to malt. It tends to make the beer dry (Rhinegold) and have more DMS (Rolling Rock). If these are the characteristics you desire, use it. The big boys have 'cereal cookers' in which they can use corn ears, if they want. As a home brewer I would recommend malted corn, flaked or torrified (liked flaked, more popped). I would start with 5 or 6 % and see how it works. FYI the reason that the big brewers use 6 row malt is that it provides the enzymes (has the diastetic power) to convert the adjunct starch (corn, rice, wheat, rye) that 2 row does not.

Good brewing,

Tom F.
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

Used it before

Post by Fraoch »

Ive used flaked corn before and was told to bring to boil then simmer immediately after for 10 mins.The reason being that we only use 2 row here and therefore the starches will have to be broken down beforehand.It becomes a thick viscous jelly like stuff and can be added to the mash as such.Kind of messy but effective and worked well for me.
Fraoch
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Corn Starch

Post by BillyBock »

I haven't tried it myself, but I've read of a homebrewer who uses pure corn starch from the grocery store added directly to his mash. This would have the advantage of having the corn starches freely available to the enzymes for complete reduction.

I don't usually make adjunct beer, but I'm gearing up to make some as an "introductory homebrew" to my otherwise "un-informed and uninitiated" Budmilloors swill drinkers. Even then, I will keep the corn no more than 10%.

v/r
Bill
stouts
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Maize

Post by stouts »

I haven't used much corn either but I do carry Flaked Maize(corn) and brewery grade corn syrup. Either of these should do the trick. Let me know how it comes out and what you use.
Jay
hophead
Light Lager
Light Lager

Flaked Maze

Post by hophead »

Ed:
For what it's worth, I make a CAP that I really like and the recipe calls for 25% flaked maze. It seems to me that it adds a little tartness to the beer which of course may not be to everyones liking.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Bill

Post by fitz »

I have to agree with Bill.
I do not like to use Corn. Actually I don't like much of any adjunct. But, if you must, keep it to a minimum (10%) If you put much more in, it will taste wine-like or fruity. Also, you may want to add amalaze enzyme to help convert the corn sugar into fermentables.