RIMS

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

fcsmike
Light Lager
Light Lager

RIMS

Post by fcsmike »

Ok, I've read alot of articles that mention the "RIMS" system but no one describes it. Could someone please?
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Definition

Post by BillyBock »

Recirculating systems in general, draw the mash liquor from the bottom of the mash tun, heat it, and then gently deposit it at the top of the mash. This occurs during the entire mashing cycle and has the advantage of setting your filter bed, creating a crystal clear runoff, and the ability to step mash. The difference between the various recirc. systems is generally the method of heating. In a RIMS, the heating element is in contact with the wort directly heating it. In others, the heating is indirect, such as HERMS, which operate on heat exchanging principles.

There are many pages out there that talk about RIMS, here's one I've looked at before http://webpages.charter.net/rcalley/

Whether or not to make and use a RIMS is a personal choice, and usually sparks a religious debate amongst homebrewers on the relative merits. Can you make great beer with or without it? You bet. I personally have stayed away from using one, only because I don't want the extra complication and items to clean. If you decide to make the plunge, make sure you do a lot of reading first. There are many technical issues to consider. Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Bill