Calculating %ABV

Physics, chemistry and biology of brewing. The causes and the effects.

Moderator: slothrob

llama

Calculating %ABV

Post by llama »

It's driving me crazy! everyone i talk with and evey book and web site i visit give different (and disagreeing) equations and methods. Is there a tried and true equation? What do the big brewers use?
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

Variations.....

Post by Brewer2001 »

llama,

Most large breweries measure using one scale or the other not both. There are some non-liniar values between the SG and Plato/Balling scales.
Someone had a similar question a while back, I don't know if we found an answer. I use this at home SGo/SGf *105 = ABW; ABW * 1.25 = ABV. Barring errors in readings the calculations come fairly close to the readings (I went back through my brew logs). In the brewery I have used saccrometers that read Deg. Plato and have correction thermometers built into the float.

I hope this helps.

Good brewing,

Tom F.
llama

i see

Post by llama »

Thanks Tom for your help. I'm assuming that you'r equation should read "(SGo-SGf)*105=ABW". That brings me close to what I was figuring. I also took a good look at my hydrometer and calculated a ABV from it "(SGo-SGf)/7.5=ABV".
ABV is what most breweries quote, isn't it?
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

To ABV or ABW.. that is the question...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

"ABV is what most breweries quote, isn't it?"

In the USA, the individual states mandate what alcohol statistics are required on labels printed by producers. Some are by weight (like where I am now) and some are by volume, like the state I recently left.

Eric
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Most

Post by fitz »

Most cans, bottles, labels refer to ABV and not ABW. Even imports from belgium,etc. list this on their packaging.