How to crack grains

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

zeno
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

How to crack grains

Post by zeno »

is it possible to use a coffee grinder for cracking small quantities of grains? Is there any cheaper way to crack grains other than having to order one of these mash deals? As a beginner with very few grains, I would rather spend my money on secondaries and kegging equipment..
zeno
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Can I mill grains with a coffee grinder?

Post by zeno »

I have no mill.. It's just a small amount.. just over a pound I think.. HBS will let me use there's but they are only open on the weekends
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

very common way..

Post by Fraoch »

I use a mill but most grainers i know get theirs crushed with a coffee grinder, Make sure it is set to "course" so as not to produce too much powder,It will chop the grain in half rather than crush it open but it does expose the mashable bits well.They work well, go right ahead.

Fraoch
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

Use a rolling pin.

Post by Brewer2001 »

Zeno,

Except for Carapils or dextrin malts most grains will crack if rolled over on a board with a rolling pin. I would not use a coffee grinder due to the 'cutting' of the grain.

Good brewing,

Tom F.
belladonna

crack grains w/ burr grinder

Post by belladonna »

I believe a burr grinder would grind grains to the proper consistency. This type of grinder is available as a manual version as well as electric. Either version is more expensive than other types. These are recommended as the best type for coffee bean grinding. ( I just let my local brew supplier grind my grains) Of course, a rolling pin is inexpensive, and works fine for small quantities.