What cha brewin'?

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

Save The Ales

Considering...

Post by Save The Ales »

The beginnings of a Summer Ale. This will be an extract brew and I'm waiting for a Blond Ale to bottle condition before going on to some recipe additions.

This recipe right now stands at:
7 lbs extra light liquid extract (Muntons)
1 lb extra light dry extract (Muntons)
1 oz Cascade 5.3% pellets at 60 minutes
.5 oz Cascade at 5.3% 15 minutes
.5 oz Cascade at 5.3% 2 minutes

The next phase is to introduce Lemon Zest and Grains of Paradise to the brew. This leads to two questions - how much of each and should I sub half the barley with wheat (like Sam Adams Summer Ale).

Regards,

Paul
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Confusing me wit someone else ? ? ?

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Steve,

I don't ever recall saying that I am going to be brewing a wit ... I don't even know what that style is like. If it is a wheat beer I know I won't be brewing it, I am not a big fan of wheats. I do love most German beers though and British also. Going to take a stab at a Scotish Export soon too ...

Paul.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Careful

Post by fitz »

Careful Paul,
I said a few weeks ago that I didn't care for Wheat beers much, and they almost hung me in effigy. I agree with you , but I figure anyone can brew whatever they like. I saw you have a harp clone in the make. I have been tinkering with one myself. I have done a light version, a dark version, and an amber version as well. Can't decide which I like best.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

My mistake.

Post by Freon12 »

I will have to send you one so you can see. But I warn you, you will be hooked(I think?).

Now who was that then? Dang beer vs memory thing!

Steve
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Who are you talking to?

Post by Freon12 »

Yes, I am, as we type, suffering through a case of Arcadia assortment and a corni of Oaken Barrel Brown.

I will arise from the ashes of a new system to brew again(and again) the beers that I make best, using less time and higher quality.

So until then, fair thee well my piad compodre'.
(but if you bail me out this once, I'm you buddy for life;)

Cheers
Steve
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

No Problem Steve ...LOL ...

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Steve,

I do it too :-) sucks getting old, we're either suffering from CRS Syndrome (can't remeber sh*t) or Half Zymers, it's not quite ALL there yet ...

Raise a class and cheers to the poor sober folk :-)

Paul.
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

One reason ...

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Fitz,

One reason I don't care for wheats is they kind of remind me of drinking Elmer's glue ... just never developed a taste for them ... but hey if we all liked the same thing there would be no variety in the world right? After all I make the best Portuguese Octopus stew you ever tasted, some of my friends just can't get past the tenticles LOL ...

Paul.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Octopus stew

Post by fitz »

Never tried octopus, but I tried calimarie(spelling?)
I didn't care for the squid too much. It tasted more fishy than fish. If you know what I mean. I do not like wheat beer:becuase to me, they taste sour. Eric, aka Mesa already had this discussion about sour vs not sour, but that is what I taste. I'm not big on fruit beers or fambroise either. I would just rather have a beer.
Barley hops water, and yeast.
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

vicarious thrills?

Post by Gravity Thrills »

Well I just kegged and carb'd an APA this morning - I conveniently took a sick day from work because I, too, was sick of commercial beer and needed some draft homegrown. It's about the least green of any green beers I have prematurely enjoyed, so I'm thinking it'll come onto its own in a week or so. I hope it lasts that long, because I hate to share beer before its time :-)
BurninBrewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by BurninBrewer »

Kegged an IPA about 5 days ago that was a close facsimile to the Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale(same ingredients, close original and final gravities). Waiting another 3-5 days to really enoy it but did a taster last night and it was very good.

About to get the ingredients to attempt a Mac & Jacks clone based on the BYO recipe and then in early sept I will do a SN Celebration clone for winter.
slimsparty
Light Lager
Light Lager

Whacha Brewin

Post by slimsparty »

I am still fledgling. I have my first original recipee IPA in primary right now.

I know IPA is cliche' but I haven't made IPA in months, and I figured I know enough about how I want it to taste to tweak the recipee going forward. Besides, does anyone REALLY not like a balanced, but slightly hoppy IPA?

I did use the online tools here for a little guidance on how much to of each grain to put in.

For the record, I'm a minimasher who's only adjuncts are irish moss for clarity and LME/DME, Otherwise I try to keep it Rienhietsgebot.[/i]