Brewing Bread

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

stouts
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Brewing Bread

Post by stouts »

Ok guys,
I had a customer wanting to buy ingredients to make bread, Obviously she needed grain but what kind? Has anyone ever made bread w/ grain or dme?
Got any recipes or suggestions.
Thanks for any help.
Jay
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

spent grain beer bread...

Post by Gravity Thrills »

Thsi is not exactly what you had in mind, but I do this a lot on brew days.

In a greased loaf pan, mix 1 cup of self-raising flour (no yeast required), 1 cup of rolled oats, 1 cup of spent mash grains, 2 tablespoons of table or brown sugar, and a bottle of beer (malty works better than hoppy. Bake for an hour at 375F (you can cover with foil for the first 30 minutes or so to keep the top from burning, but you have to place the foil high enough that the rising bread doesn't touch it.

Several years ago, there were a couple of outfits that made different flavored pre-mixed beer bread mixes that you just added the beer to and baked (they may still sell these, I haven't searched). Until I started mixing my own, I would buy these on occassion, but they charged as much as 4-5 dollars for them - that's got to be a 1000% profit! I would consider looking into this as a unique offering if I had a shop.

Cheers,
Jim
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Actually

Post by fitz »

Actually, during the prohibition days here in the US, the only way to make beer was to buy ingredients meant for baking and use them to make beer. I think they even got their recipes in secret by writing for the info on the inside label, if I remember the story correct. The woman whom came into your store may have had an old recipe for some sort of old style bread. I have made beer bread before, but it was with self rising flour, oil, and a bottle of homebrew. It is a nice quick bread recipe.
Save The Ales

A hint

Post by Save The Ales »

I was reading the directions for making bread and the suggestion was to use beer in place of water - there was an emphasis on porter and stout. Tried two loaves with a homebrew IPA and it came out quite good.

Guess you can have your beer and eat it, too.

Paul