Bottles

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

johnbarley
Light Lager
Light Lager

Bottles

Post by johnbarley »

I bought some micro type beers and they put non twist caps on the twist off bottles. I was going to use them until I noticed this. Can we use these bottles like these breweries did? If so, is there any type of caution I should take?
Thanks again for all the help.
John Barley (Corn)
canman
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

non twist caps???

Post by canman »

Isn't it the bottle that is twist or non twist?? All I can get is twist off bottles and I use generic caps with great success. Hope this helps
johnbarley
Light Lager
Light Lager

Clearer

Post by johnbarley »

Sorry I wasn't clear in my message. Yes the bottles are twist off with generic caps like you use. I read that you shouldn't use those types of bottles. If any one can explain in a little more detail I would appreciate it. But I now have over a case of empty twist offs (that I thought were not) and would like to use them. If you have luck w/them I will use them also.
canman
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

use'm all the time

Post by canman »

I've been using them for years with no problems. Just watch the top edges, after a couple dozen uses they get sharp.
Happy Brewing
Sapper
Light Lager
Light Lager

Be careful

Post by Sapper »

I sometimes use twist-type bottles, but it is easy to break the thin glass at the top when capping the bottle. Also, it is easy to break the top of the bottle when opening it if you are not careful.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Another concern

Post by fitz »

The twist off bottles are noticeably thinner, and may cause you problems if you are a little heavy on the priming sugar. Be careful, a carbonated beer in thin glass could be quite dangerous. I use only returnables, even though they are getting harder to find cheaply. Corona bottles are good to, if you find someone whom can stomach to drink the stuff. I have a few friends that have absolutely no idea what beer should taste like, and they bring me these bottles often.
johnbarley
Light Lager
Light Lager

Bottles

Post by johnbarley »

Well I guess I'll stick with my bar bottles and stay away from the twist offs as long as I can. Most of the beer I do buy are in the bar bottles. The only time I like a Corona is when I am floating on my raft in my pool on a hot summer day. I was at a friends house and had a Bud Light and man did it taste like sh--!
xero1
Light Lager
Light Lager

any bottle will do

Post by xero1 »

I personally use anything I can get my hands on but the best bottle i have found is a 375ml bundaberg gold brown bottle, its stronger and cleans better than the rest, it is a twist top which I have no problems with and it comes up trumps every time. But note dont use a hand capper with twist tops it takes about 30 hits on a VB twist top and by that stage your going to slip and crack the bottle and end up in emergency so get a proper press capper for all of $50 AUD and then you can use anything you want with a perfect seal