Bentonite

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

chylinski

Bentonite

Post by chylinski »

Has anyone ever used bentonite to clear beer? I make a light beer that always gives me sediment on the bottom of the bottles would bentonite help? how much for 5 gal....? thanks

MARK
hophead
Light Lager
Light Lager

Sediment

Post by hophead »

If your priming with sugar and bottling your beer, your going to have sediment on the bottom of your bottles. It is a result of the action between the remaining yeast in your beer and the priming sugar.Pour carefully:):):)
chylinski

I agree BUT

Post by chylinski »

If I can pull more sediment out of the beer before priming with Bentonite will it not help with the reduction of the sediment in the bottle after priming?
KBrau
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Inevitable Sediment

Post by KBrau »

No matter how much sediment you remove from the beer before bottling you will always have some sediment if you bottle condition your beer. There is always going to be some small amount of yeast in your beer and when this yeast finds food (Priming sugar) it will reproduce and settle on the bottom of your bottles. The only ways I know of to avoid this problem is to either force carbonate with a kegging system and bottle with a counterpressure bottle filler or drink flat beer.