Red color

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

zeno
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Red color

Post by zeno »

Yes, I know that "Red" is not concidered by most beer scholors to be a beer type, but red beers have become popular enough to where 3 out of 5 of my friends want that to be my next beer..

As such.. What should I use to get that nice red color in there? As is no suprise, the recipe generater appears no not have "Red Ale" as a style, so I'm pretty much in the dark as to what I should use..
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

in the dark?

Post by Gravity Thrills »

It might not be so bad to be "in the dark" here. Just a touch of black patent (maybe 1 ounce)on top of a normal amount of crystal malt for a Brit bitter will give a nice red hue. Or, you could so away with the crystal altogether and use Wyermann's melanonoidin (red) malt in its place. An extended vigorous wort boil also helps bring out the red hues since you are carmelizing a portion of the wort sugar.

Importantly, make sure to tone your hops down from Brit bitter to get an authentic Irish-style red with more malt emphasis. Like Scottish ales, the Irish ales were likely hopped less than Emglish counterparts because hops were not locally grown and were therefore too expensive to use in excess.

There are several posters here who claim Irish red as their flagship brew, so I'm sure you will get a few people chiming in on this one :-)

Cheers,
Jim
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Mine is Kinda Dark

Post by dartedplus »

I just bottled my red on Saturday, I used 2 oz each of choc and black pat malt. Upon tasting it, next time I think I will go with just the choc malt, as the black pat has left that dark burnt flavor in there. Also, mine came out pretty dark, so even before tasting it was wrote in my notes to only use 1 1/2 oz of each next time. If you can find it, carafa III is a very dark malt, that comes dehusked, so you get the dark tones from it without getting the burnt flavor. I wanted to use it, but didnt come across it until after I had placed my grain order. I think it would be good to have on hand though to get the darkness without the bad flavor, so I will probably order some next time around. Now I just have to wait.....another 12 days or so. Then my red will be getting around...

Ed
Save The Ales

Try this

Post by Save The Ales »

If you can locate a copy of "Homebrew Favorites" by Lutzen & Stevens there is a recipe for Irish Red Ale on page 35. Although the book was published in 1994 both HBS's that I use have it in stock.

If you can't locate a copy then e-mail me at: pauljconley@aol.com and I'll send the recipe.

Regards,

Paul
A bad homebrew is better than anything store bought
belladonna

red = amber malt

Post by belladonna »

I believe 'red' comes from amber malt syrup. Today I plan to brew "Outback Red Australian Ale" from a beertools recipe submitted 3/11/2002 from unknown society of brewers.