education options?

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

education options?

Post by bredmakr »

I am seriously considering a change in direction. I think I want to run a micro-brewery when I get up. What education opportunities are available that would assist me in successfully obtaining my new goal? I want to pursue this with all that I have. Trouble is, all I have is a couple of hours a night. Have to keep my current gig to feed the kids while I study up on brewing. What are my options?
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Link

Post by dartedplus »

bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

recommendation - CBA or IBS&E

Post by bredmakr »

Which would you recommend? The Intensive Brewing Science and Engineering (IBS&E)course or the
Craftbrewers Apprenticeship Program (CBA)?
has anyone out there taken either of these classes?
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

I have taken the CBA.

Post by Brewer2001 »

Bred,

The IBS&E is the same course material as the CBA without a five week apprenticeship. The course should fit your schedule, but it is a lot of work.
You need to get back to the books. It is a little hard if you haven't been to school in a while.
The CBA is good training if you have a brewery in your area that will accept you as an apprentice. Check that first before you sign up. You will have to take a week at the end of class and travel to Sacramento (it is fun). We had people from all over the country and one man from Argentina. Two people worked for major breweries (Katie works for New Belgium and Phil works for Grain Belt, he took the course for fun). I was working full time while I was taking the course.
We have a web site with a job page, but your graduation my not guarentee a job. I just put in my first day at a local brewery today.

Good luck and good brewing,

Tom F.