Thank You All

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Thank You All

Post by dartedplus »

For those of you who remember, I was having problems with carbonation... I added some more yeast and for those bottles that were actually carbonated, I added some more yeast and corn sugar. The results are great. I have beer instead of some flat stuff. So if anyone else has this problem, just add some ueast and you should be allright. Thanks again. Ed
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

krausen

Post by Fraoch »

looking to krausen some beer myself and cut out the sugar. Only problem is how much? Can you just take a still fermenting beer and bottle it risking explosion or use another fermenting wort but in what quantities? i'd be interested in how much you ended up using
xbrewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

you can but--

Post by xbrewer »

You can carbonate your beer by bottling before fermentation is complete, but You're likely to end up with undercarbonaed beer or overcarbonated gushers or exploding bottles. You would have to be very familiar with your recipe and yeast. If you know to a high degree of certainty what your terminal gravity will be, you can bottle when the gravity is a few degrees above terminal but this will require some experimentation to find the right point. You can achieve pretty much the same result by letting your wort completely ferment and then prime with 1 1/4 cups of dried malt extract per 5 gal. of beer instead of corn sugar. Carbonation will be considerably slower than when using corn sugar.
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

active yeast

Post by Fraoch »

i was thinking more of adding a fermenting wort to a bottle in order to carbonate. the only information i have is to add"some" which obviously is far too generic. I was thinking of bottling just at the point where the batch has naturally cleared, but i've experienced gushing bottles before and i really want to avoid this ever happening again for obvious reasons.How much is too much when it comes too Krausening using an active yeast mixture? There's a large difference between 1tsp and 1tbsp. I'd really like to try this and would appreciate any input from anyone who has experimented with this method.
xbrewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

re: active yeast

Post by xbrewer »

You do not need to add active yeast unless the yeastin your fermented beer has gone dormant as it might after a long lagering period. If you feel like you need active yeast in your priming solution, you can boil 1 1/4 cups dried extract in about a pint of water, cool it to pitching temperature, and add a little yeast. When this if fermenting, add it to your 5 gal. batch, mis and bottle. I do not recommmend trying to prime a single bottle.
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

give it a whirl

Post by Fraoch »

cheers for the info,i'll try a pint to 5 gals and see how it goes. i'm making a batch that has an OG of around 1085 and intend to mature in the bottle over a very long period, betwween 5 and 20 years and i want the complexities the yeast will produce over this time. Needless to say in 20 years i dont want to find that i got it wrong.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Amounts Needed

Post by dartedplus »

This info came from the new joy of homebrewing. Gyle would be the unfermented beer that you will add.

Quarts of gyle neede = ( 12 X Gallons of wort)/ the last 2 digits of the O.G.

so if you had 5 gallons of wort with a O.G. of 1.040 then it would be....(12 X 5) / 40 or 60/40 or 1 1/2 quarts of gyle that you would need to add to the finished wort when you are ready to bottle it. You can pull this amount out before you add the yeast and put it in a sterile container in the fridge until your wort has finished fermenting. Then just add it before you bottle.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

It Works

Post by dartedplus »

The problem i had was that my beer would not carbonate for me.I think I killed the yeast by bottling right after I cleaned thebottles and they weren't cool enough yet. I simply added about 5 or 6 yeast granules per bottle and it worked great.
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

sounds good

Post by Fraoch »

thanks for that, you've given me specific numbers to work with. I'll do a practise run just to make sure before going ahead with the beer i originally had in mind. I know it seems like a long winded way to go about carbonating a brew but i really like the idea of controlling every aspect in the process. If I could grow and malt the barley myself, I would!
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Good Luck

Post by dartedplus »

Good luck with it, it seems like a pretty straightforward procedure. I havent done it yet, I think its just as easy to throw 3/4 cup of corn sugar in the wort. Some day I may give it a try. Let us know how well it works and how long it takes...Enjoy