Beertools Wit

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Raydownunder
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Beertools Wit

Post by Raydownunder »

G'day

Well i do sometimes read the forum but time gets away and well you all know.

I'am going to brew your wit beer by Freon12 (Hi Freon12) but I might make a change or two (only little ones).
One will be a double decoction mash, as this mash has 40% of the mash boiled twice I am wondering if I should excude the Orange peel and coriander out of the mash. Any thoughts on this guys

Cheers
Ray Mills
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Next Time

Post by dartedplus »

The next time I brew mine, I wont add the cor and orange to the mash, I felt mine had too much coriander. As a matter of fact, the next time I make mine, I will use my extract recipe as I thought that it was a near perfect clone for Hoegarten
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Hmmm...

Post by Freon12 »

What type of malt are you using? Well mod?

To be honest, my first go at it was a decoction mash which gave me a deep orange tint. The orange can be a bit harsh if boiled and compared to the single infusion with the well modified grain, the wheat converted nicely without further break down caused by decoction.

I would almost suggest 6 row malt before I would decoction due to the fact that mashing the spices is indeed the key to this beer(Kudo's to Mesa).

I think the spice level in the recipe will agree with most Aussie's due to the conditioning they go thru.(glug, glug ;).

But if you want orange beer, decoct the portion with no spices.

Let us know what comes of it.

Steve "the curious"
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Chiming in...

Post by Gravity Thrills »

Looks like the Fellowship of the Wit is again called to order...

I agree with Steve that the spices in the mash tun did a world of good for this one. I believe Mesa had originally suggested we hold out on 1/10 of the spices until the end of the boil, to top off the most volatile aromatics. I hedged and used 1/8 of th espice total at the end of the boil, and was happy with the result.

My brew session turned into an accidental decoction mash, when a simple hot liquor addition did not get me from protein rest temp to starch conversion. I noticed a slightly darker color than a Hoegarden, but it was on par with a good New Zealand commercial example I got an opportunity to try (my spice level was closer to that than Hoegarden as well).

Next time around, i will stick with mash spicing, but I am going to back off on the coriander a tad. I took the advice of published pieces that reccommended specifically seeking out Indian coriander because it imparts a more delicate spiciness. I liked it and will stick with that.

Good luck.
Jim
Raydownunder
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Thanks Guys

Post by Raydownunder »

Hi Guys

Thanks for the response

I think I will leave out the spices in the mash. Just use them in the boil. I have some dried orange peel from the local Asian shop and some fresh Indian Corianda.

Will let you know how I goes as I will post the recipe after I have made it. I intend to use some raw wheat that's why I will do a decoction mash.

Keep up the good work

Cheers
Ray
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

espice?

Post by Freon12 »

Don't tell me you used espice! !@#$ it man, I told you about using that stuff. Hee hee hee