Lager & Ale Yeast Brew Temp

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

sudsysak

Lager & Ale Yeast Brew Temp

Post by sudsysak »

I am brewing a lightbodied beer with German Lager ME and several other additions. OG.0156 I added Lager & Ale yeasts both. I'm fermenting at 70degress. Any comments of feedback of those who have experimented with Lager & Ale Yeast both in same the same batch.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Steam Beer

Post by fitz »

Brewing Lager at ale temps will produce some off flavors similar to Anchor Brewing "Steam Beer" The ale yeast will brew as normal.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Was thinking of experimenting

Post by jayhawk »

I was thinking of experimenting with the ale/lager yeast idea. I think that is the true technique for brewing "cream ale". What strains are you using?
sudsysak

Lager/Ale Yeast Combo

Post by sudsysak »

Dry yeast purchased from Things Beer
European Lager
Dry yeast Ale
from a Bierkeller Lager Kit
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Clean, or ale-like

Post by fitz »

If you want a cleaner taste, and don't want the yeasts competing too much in flavor try Superior lager and Nottingham ale. Both are dry, and have clean finish. If you want a unique flavors, do some experimenting to see what you like. The above two compliment each other well.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Cut my teeth on Nottingham

Post by jayhawk »

I used nottingham with great results when I was first starting to brew. Thanks for the tip.