Help with Fermataps

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Cheers
Light Lager
Light Lager

Help with Fermataps

Post by Cheers »

Dows anyone have any experiance with these? I recently purchased one and am in the process of using it the first time. Fermentation is done and I am trying to drain the yeast and hop residue from the bottom. The problem that I am having is, I am losing alot of beer. The stuff draining out starts off real thick but then thins out and is clear. It is all beer then. I am trying to figure out how to drain the sludge out of the bottom without wasting all my beer. Is there a trick to it that I need to know? As usual, your help is greatly appreciated.
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

You tell me

Post by Gravity Thrills »

I'm going to try out my new Fermentap inverted dealie this weekend, so whatever you figure out please share your experience. I will do the same.

Cheers,
Jim
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

I fell for it too.

Post by jeff »

Fermentap is a pretty cool idea, but it just doesn
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

Jeff hit it on the head.

Post by Brewer2001 »

I have never used one but the angle of the carboy is not steep enough and I think that the valve opening is too small. The unitanks have an internal (included) angle of 60 degrees. Some of the first commercial tanks that were produced had too shallow of an angle and the same problems.

I put a tap on my primary (plastic pail) and syphon out of my carboy (secondary) to rack.

Some things work some don't.

Good brewing,

Tom F.