Beers of Baden-W

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

vonGemmingen

Beers of Baden-W

Post by vonGemmingen »

I am looking for some help in determining the style of beer enjoyed by this area of Germany which includes the Southwestern portion of the country near the black forest. Thanks for any help.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Period?

Post by Freon12 »

What period of time, it changed along with Munich and attempts at Pilsner, but I say that wheat beers including Hefe and Berliner were and are still there.

Let me know if it is from 1800-1950 for which I would be familiar and Helles would be the main stay beer with Weissbier coming in second as the "breakfest beer" of the south although "Volksfest" would be a time dominated by Lagers. Baden- Wurttemberg, Bavaria, and Austria have "I read" over 200 Weissbier breweries. (Classic Beer Styles #7).

Hefe and Wit are my favorite beers by far even when I dapple in Ocktoberfests.

Trinken Wiessbier ein Oktober!
Freon12
vonGemmingen

period

Post by vonGemmingen »

Actually, now that you ask, the period of the early 1600s-present. I appreciate your perspective F12
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Project?

Post by Freon12 »

I would like the project of finding out my gap from 1600-1800 if you need this information.
I stand by my earlier comments from 1800-present and will look into what had changed between 1600-1800. I think we will find darker beers in that period due to the invention of low kiln pilsner malts and higher Ph of some regions along with the dicovery of yeast as a beer componant.

"Eifrig zu dienen ein Baron."

Freon12
canman
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

regards to German beer

Post by canman »

I lived in Baden Sollingen for 4 years fro 89-93 with the CDN Forces. I dearly miss the beer especially the weitzen with lemon on a hot summer day. As soon as my 3 tier is finished I will be copying many of those beutiful dry Pils
vonGemmingen

project/period

Post by vonGemmingen »

Whatever you could come up with would be great!
vonGemmingen

regards to/recipe

Post by vonGemmingen »

are you willing to share the recipe(s) of those you think would replicate the style from when you were there? My family, von Gemmingen, is actually from Hornberg.
canman
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

but of coarse

Post by canman »

most definately I will share, that is what brewing your own is all about. I still have the flavours on the tip of my tongue and when I hit it right I'll post my recipe. Funny how you can still taste a wonderful beer 10 years later. I especially liked the local beers. There were many small breweries around Baden and Lahr areas and they made exeptional beers. Funny thing was that the small breweries charged less money. I also had a beer man that would deliver beer to my door. If I wasn't home he'd drop off a case anyway just in case. ( he was always right) I miss Deutchland very much. Thanks for the trip down memory lane