Using maple syrup and/or honey.

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Black_Raven

Using maple syrup and/or honey.

Post by Black_Raven »

I'm new to brewing, and I'd like to try a recipe I saw using maple syrup and I have a question. Do you need a special type of maple syrup for brewing, or is it the same maple syrup that you can get off the shelf at any grocery store? Does the same thing for honey as well or do you need a special type of honey?
maltvault
Light Lager
Light Lager

Nope

Post by maltvault »

Make sure the syrup is PURE MAPLE, not Log Cabin, and no preservatives. The honey is the same, no preservatives. Also the TYPE of honey will matter, i.e. Clover, Orange Blossom, ect. I personally use Clover and have had great results with a Honey Brown clone I make, and I also have a Tommy Knockers Maple Nut clone that is a great winter brew. good luck.

Malt Vault
Black_Raven

Thanks...

Post by Black_Raven »

...for the information. It is much appreciated. Both your Honey Brown and your Tommy Knockers Maple Nut sound good. We're trying a Maple Red Ale...
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Hey malt vault

Post by dartedplus »

That tommy knocker recipe sounds good, is it in the recipe archive or could you send me a copy