What Style is...

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

What Style is...

Post by dartedplus »

What style/category/sub category would an Irish Red Ale fall under????
Popsicle

Almost a pale

Post by Popsicle »

There isn't one to my knowledge. I brew Irish ale often and basically set up my own style using pale ale as the template. English pale is close in gravity and hop rate so I used most of the information from it and increased the SRM. You could enter it as an Enlgish Pale and just take the hit on the color.

Reminds me...I have one ready to bottle/keg now.
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

Style guide used at the GABF

Post by Brewer2001 »

Darted,

The GABF 2000(Great American Brew Fest) used the following guidelines. Irish-Style Red Ale the category was number 38 under the ale clasification with no sub category. The stats are as follows:

OG. 1.040-1.048 P. 10-12
FG. 1.004-1.008 P. 1-2
AW. 3.2%-3.6% AV. 4.0-4.5%
IBU 22-28
SRM 11-18 EBC 22-36

I will check some other references.

Good brewing,

Tom F.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

English Pale

Post by dartedplus »

When I put it in the library, I did put it in as an English Pale ale. Its a little dark, so I'm high on the color, and also on the OG and the alc% (I got a really good extraction rate compared to my usual, but who's complaining!!!)
OK, thanks for the input, I was just kinda curious about it
Ed
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

From the 2003 AOB Guidelines...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

The following is copied from the 2003 Association of Brewers beer style guidelines regarding Irish-Style Red Ale. These guidelines are the result of BJCP, AHA and GABF input towards unified style definitions for competitions. These are the guidelines that will be used at the 2003 GABF.

Irish Style Ale:

Irish style ales range from light red-amber-copper to light brown in color. These ales have a medium hop bitterness and flavor. They often don't have much hop aroma. Irish style red ales have low to medium candy-like caramel sweetness and a medium body. The style may have low levels of fruity-ester flavor and aroma. Diacetyl should be absent. Chill haze is allowable at cold temperatures. Slight yeast haze is acceptable for bottle conditioned products.

Original Gravity: 1.040~1.048 (10~12 P)
Final Gravity: 1.010~1.014 (2.5~3.5 P)
Alcohol: 3.2~3.6% /W (4~4.5% /V)
Bitterness: 22~28 IBU
Color: 11~18 SRM (22-36 EBC)
Popsicle

Good Info

Post by Popsicle »

Thanks for the info Tom and Eric. I'll update my library with those numbers.

Ed, did you brew one? What was your mash schedule? OG? FG?
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

library

Post by dartedplus »

yes i did, look up "royale red" by the time you see this and go there i should have the mash schedule in the comments section

ed
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Can't blame you

Post by fitz »

Can't blame you, I'm a bubble sniffer too.
If you can't taste it, at least you can smell it while it brews. I test mine at bottling time too. If it taste good flat and warm, it is a heck of a lot better than any commercial beer I have drank.
Cheers