1st time brewing

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

cato

1st time brewing

Post by cato »

After one day the brew stopped bubbling, I have maintained a constant temp as directed. This stopped 2 days ago and I took a reading and it was still higher than it should be, and I have some stuff floating on top. Does this sound normal or should I do a secondary fermentation
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Normal

Post by fitz »

All yeasts are a little different. The stuff still floating on it is your yeast. It is probably still fermenting but at a slower rate than you expected based on the first days action. I wouldn't put it in a secondary just yet though since I don't know how you pitched the yeast, or what Temp the constant temp is. keep it in there a couple more days to make sure there isn't another burst of activity. Also, your final gravity may not end up as low as you expect based on different malts and brewing practices. If your fermentation is stuck, (your yeast have stalled in the fermentation process)a little yeast enigizer or nutrient will do it some good. Just remember for the next batch to give your wort some air before pitching the yeast(stir it briskly to aerate) that will help in yeast production and fermentation. just keep the air out through the rest of the process.
HomeBrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

More data -- we can help...

Post by HomeBrew »

What are you fermenting in (bucket, car boy)? What yeast did you use (dry yeast, liquid yeast, yeast from a starter)? At what temperature did you pitch? What temperature are you fermenting at? What was your original gravity, and what is it now? What recipe did you use?

These data might help us more accurately diagnose the problem, if there is one...

In any event, I would wait a week or so before considering racking to a secondary...
cato

1st time

Post by cato »

Fermenting in bucket. Dry yeast, pitch temp was 75
fermenting temp 70 (this is what it calls for 68-72) orginal gravity was 1.050 now it is 1.024
Recipe American Amber

Thanks