Beer Steins

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

Beer Steins

Post by l48shark »

I understand that collecting beer steins is a somewhat popular hobby. Just search the Internet and you will see many sites devoted to it and many dealers as well. My other hobby, other than homebrewing, is the Corvette hobby. I am among those who feel that the cars were meant to be driven and that is what I do. However, we do not buy 6-figure, triple crown winners to drive the Hell out of. The same would go for beer steins. I would like to have some attractive, lidded steins to drink from (particularly at special occasions, such as my annual Oktoberfest party). But I do not want to pay hundreds of dollars for *each* tankard. Does anyone know where affordable, authentic-looking steins can be acquired? (Other than E-Bay, that is ;-).)

Cheers,
Ford
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Try your local Cigar Shops

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Ford, Happy Holidays to you ... I also collect steins, my wife got me started I am not much of a collector though but one thing I do know is that you want to make sure that the bottom (outside) is numbered. That increases their value considerably. I have luck finding them at cigar shops, or even good quality gift stores. The most expenseive one I own was $55.00 from Busch Gardens in Willamsburg VA.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Paul.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Ceramic shops

Post by fitz »

You may want to check ceramic shops in your area.
If you have someone whom like to do that type of artwork, have them finish them for you. The shop proprietor will finish them for you but may cost you. My wife does hand thrown pottery, so I can get them in any shape and color, as her artistic whim strikes. The lids arent hard to attach if you get the pieces to assemble.
dohertyd
Light Lager
Light Lager

Antique Malls

Post by dohertyd »

You can find some interesting stuff at antique malls and/or junk shops. It takes some work, though. There are a lot of people just trying to get rid of overpriced crap, but if you hunt through things, you can find some pretty neat stuff.

I collect beer mugs. I inherited my father's collection. He started by collecting volunteer fire department mugs at a pumper wetdown in 1972. I've got a couple of hundred of them!
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

Overpriced

Post by l48shark »

I thought of that and I will probably check them out as we have many flea mark... er, antique malls in this area. However, in my experience nothing is really an antique but everything is priced as such. I frequently see single Grolsch swing-top bottles priced for more than you can buy 2 of them from the liquor store, and those would still be full of beer!

Cheers,
Ford
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

Cool!

Post by l48shark »

Wow, that's a sweet deal. I actually thought of making my own, but then I look at the supposed candle holder I made in grade school and realize my artistic talents never really developed. :-) Maybe I will check a ceramic shop. Thanks for the tip. Where do you get the hardware for the lid? Are they pewter?

Cheers,
Ford
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Ceramic shops

Post by fitz »

The same ceramic shops that sell you the mugs, can order you the other supplies. Or you may try Laguna Clay. They have distributors throughout the US. I'm sure you could find a site online too.
dohertyd
Light Lager
Light Lager

Not all

Post by dohertyd »

I *did* say that you had to shop, didn't I? Some people are just looking to get rid of stuff, and/or don't know what they have. Anything worthwhile requires some work.
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

True

Post by l48shark »

Yes, that is true. In the meantime, invaluable, cheap ones are easy to come by that I am hoarding for my upcoming Oktoberfest party to be used as party favors. :) As for steins for my personal use, the hunt begins! Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Ford