HOPS

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

HOPS

Post by fitz »

Alright, I have to ask. What types of Hops do you like to use. It seems to me, that no matter what type of beer that I want to brew(light/dark) I normally go back to the same type of hops every time. I like the mixture of Willamette and Fruggles in many beers, and if I want something different, I use the Hallertaur and Saaz combo. Which is kind of weird since I am a German Irish american and the F/W hops are staples for Irish/English brews and the H/S are staples for German brewing. I am sure its just a coinsidence, or maybe its something grained into my genes.?
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

High on Crystal

Post by jayhawk »

Goldings and cascade are regulars in my beer. I recently tried Crystal and Cascade together and highly recommend. I would also like to try Crystal and Tettnang together, as well using Crystal as a dry hop. Hallertau & Tettnang go nice together too.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

tried

Post by fitz »

I've tried some of those combinations and they have tasted fine. The only hop I have tried and not liked was Chinook. Between those hops, and a little too much on the dark malt, made my Irish stout something Arthur Guinness would wince over. Of course I drank it. Somethimes mixed it with a pale ale to porter it, but that one was too much. Haven't used it since.
bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

Chinook fine by me...

Post by bredmakr »

I use Chinook as a bittering hop for my IPA and pale ales. Coupled with Cascade for flavor and Aroma you can't go wrong. Maybe you didn't get fresh Chinook hops.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

High alpha

Post by jayhawk »

I have never tried Chinook, but I think bittering with them would be good. I don't think their high alpha content would have the finesse needed for flavouring a stout.
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

second chinooks

Post by Gravity Thrills »

I tried chinook as a fallback once when I couldn't get perle hops to bitter a west coast style PA. 1/2 ounce gave me all the bittering I was looking for and complemented the finishing cascades wonderfully. For at least the last 4 times I have brewed pale ales I have stuck with chinook I like it so much. I have to make a point of forcing myself back to perle for a batch and make an objectove comparison.

Cheers,
Jim