Brew Clubs

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Brew Clubs

Post by fitz »

I am from the northern panhandle of WV in looking at the list of Brew Clubs I notice there are none in the WV, OH, or PA area. Is there anyone out there in this area interested in forming a Brew Club? If we actually got one off of the ground, we could buy some of our ingredients in bulk and save a bunch. The more you save, the more you can brew. Or buy additional equipment, etc.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Brew Clubs in WV....

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

I am originally from North Central WV (Clarksburg) and was a member of a club there, also one in Morgantown and in TRASH in Pittsburgh, PA. Let me know what city you are in and I'll find the closest club to you.

Eric
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Brew Clubs

Post by fitz »

I'm in the Whg/Moundsville area.
The Pittsburgh one would probably be the closest. There is a growing number of people around here that shop at the 2 small supply stores in the area, but I don't hangout in there enough to meet any of them. The guys whom own the places aren't really enthusiastic about beer brewing. One specializes in wine, and the other is only sidelining his carryout business. I dabble in the wine, so I can at least talk to the one guy a little. The other guy is so transparent that he doesn't have a clue about the process, and that he just wants your money. I went in asking for lager yeast. He pointed to the Muntons regular and said this one does both. I told him no it didn't, thanks for his time and left. I really didn't care for that type of salesmanship. If he didn't know what he was talking about, he should have asked for a brand I was looking for or something. Anyway, I have started to do some of my shopping online. I get a better selection, and probably fresher ingredients too. It would be nice to be able to sample other people's brews and discuss triumph's and failures. What I did or what I should have done. Thanks for the help.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I think I'm spoiled

Post by jayhawk »

Your story of the HBS owner who doesn't give a s**t is a shame. My guy is an ex punk rocker who has been involved in homebrewing since he was ten (his dad made him bottle the beer). He hosts irregular (usually every 2 months) beer tastings and generally is a wealth of knowledge about homebrewing. Unfortunately for you, he is located in Vancouver Canada, so he is obviously outside of your area. Why would anyone get into the homebrewing business only for the money? It is seems like the profit margin on homebrewing materials is relatively low.

Good brewing
Chris
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Not the $ he charges

Post by fitz »

I don't even go into that store anymore unless I am really strapped for an ingredient or yeast. The guy doesn't care, and his price is much higher than anywhere else. He charges 2.50 + for dry Munton's yeast. I avoid that place as much as I can!
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Boycott

Post by jayhawk »

That is obscene. $2.50????! Even my local grocery store (with highly inflated prices) only charges $CDN 1.50 for dry yeast. Drive that guy out of business.