Record keeping survey ...

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Record keeping survey ...

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Greetings all,

First off as we will be away for a few days, I want to begin by wishing everyone a very HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON ! ! ! I hope that Santa brings everybody just what they wanted.

Ok, I want to know (other than me, as I have done it) how many people got tired of forgetting something and doing something that they were not supposed to, or just plain old screwed up a batch or two, and have gone to record keeping?

I now keep very detailed records and review them briefly before I brew and keep checking them during the brew session. I even go so far as to weigh out the hops, put them into their own plastic bags with the required boil time. I also have a second page where I write down notes as the day progresses.

After my last screwup and I completely forgot to put the coffee in my "Mocha Porter" I said that was it. I can now tell you anything you want to know in regards to what happened on any particular brew day LOL ... Am I being anal or do you practice some sort of record keeping method.

Cheers,
Paul.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

couldn't remember without

Post by fitz »

Hi Paul,
I'm new to this forum, but have been brewing for about 4 years now. I doubt if your anal, I couldn't remember anything if I didn't keep track in records. I brew different brews for different season's, and/or moods, so there is a lot of stuff going through this head. Anyway, records are the only way you are going to get a consistent beer. Have fun brewing!
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

sometimes

Post by dartedplus »

not always, but most of the time. Not very detailed, but just so I dont forget something.
Ed

merry christmas
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Yeah, I do it

Post by jayhawk »

I keep a record of all my brews. I even made up a form on MS Word so I could keep things neater and easier to read. The first page has the recipe, OG, FG, alc%, date of brew and bottle, yeast, mash schedule and the second page has miscellaneous notes I keep during the bew day and fermentation. I keeping a record from batch one, so I guess it is just habit now. Plus, it gives me something to do during the mash and boil.
Chris
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

standard form

Post by Freon12 »

Some science type guy developed a form which I follow. It came with a prepacked beer I ordered. Then I punch three holes and file it under the right label.

Then I record final notes after it has gone.

Too cool.
Steve
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Happy Jacks

Post by Push Eject »

I know I recently posted this link, but here it is again.
http://brewing.happyjacks.org
Go to "articles" for veteran homebrewer Stu Venable's brewing form.

Anyone else going to post their forms?

Cheers,
Ollie
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

A Necessity

Post by BillyBock »

If it weren't for my brewlog, I'd forget my head. I don't think it's being anal. The main reason I do it is so I can repeat the recipe to the "T" if it turns out to be a keeper.

Which reminds me, Paul, I have a personally-crafted pale ale recipe which you may like, according to public opinion it was 'stunning'--about 5% ABV, malt complexity, and crisp and refreshing (but it's not a lawn mower beer). Let me know if you're interested.

Prost!
Bill
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I am

Post by jayhawk »

Pale ales are right up my alley. I can trade you a good recipe I have for the one you offer. Lest me know. Who knows, they might be very similar.

Chris
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

How?

Post by jayhawk »

I would post my format, but I don't know how. I can email, but I have no clue how the post my MS Word file.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Will Post It

Post by BillyBock »

Hi, Chris. I normally use Promash for recipe formulation. Let me enter the recipe here on the site tonight and I'll repost here with the name.
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Count me in

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Hey Bill what's cooking :-)

Yeah I am interested. Let me know if they're in the archives.

I have a few knock outs as well. Search the recipes for Azorean you'll find about 11 or 12 of them. They are all true pride and proven but these are a notch above, "Full head of steam" (hop head's delight)Munich Helles, Oktoberfest, "Big Bass Bitters" Wow Big flavor and aroma :-) all the others are very strong contenders.

I'd like to try your's ... hook me up.

Cheers,

Paul.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Here 'tis

Post by BillyBock »

Chris & Paul:

Ok, I entered it. Search the recipe files for "The Billy Barew". If you're a Caddyshack fan you'll notice the reference to the Barew.

v/r
Bill
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Oh no!

Post by jayhawk »

I cannot source American Victory locally. What are its characteristics and are there any substitutes you can recommend? BTW, this recipe sounds wicked. I will line it up beside my lager for the next brew day.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Hmmm

Post by BillyBock »

IIRC Victory is the same as Toasted Malt or Biscuit Malt. Heck, try Aromatic Malt as well :-)
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

toasted

Post by jayhawk »

I use home toasted 2 row in place of the Victory. Thanks.