Mini Kegs

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Brad
Light Lager
Light Lager

Mini Kegs

Post by Brad »

I recently purchased some mini kegs and a tapper(I am an apartment dweller at the present, no room for a real keg) and had a few questions. I was wondering what the priming rate was. I bought some relief bungs so over carbonation should not be much of a problem but what if I would also like to bottle say a 12 pack to travel with? Also,I know its to late now, but how hard are these things to clean(thats an awfully small hole)? And last, would it be possible to force carbonate in one? Any info on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks B.
stouts
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Brush

Post by stouts »

Brad,
I've never used them but they do make a carboy brush designed for them.
Jay
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

priming rates

Post by Gravity Thrills »

If you normally use 3/4 cups of priming sugar to bottle 5 gallons, cut that to 1/3-1/2 cup per 5 gallons with mini-kegs or cornys. For British style ales, I'd even cut that to 1/4 cup.

I have not force carbonated using mini-kegs, but it could be effectively done if you figured out a good C02 delivery method. I guess you could turn the dial on the mini-keg cartridge tapper up to 11 so it injects the whole volume of CO2 rather than mtering it in just to push beer at dispense. But it would take several of those 12-gram cartridges to carbonate 5 liters I think.

Cheers,
Jim
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I'm confused

Post by jayhawk »

I haven't figured this kegging system thing out yet, so help me out. You prime to carbonate, and then, as you drink, you add CO2 to fill up the airspace created by drinking the beer, thus preventing the beer from going flat. Is this correct?
stouts
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Yep.

Post by stouts »

That's about how it's done.
Jay
stouts
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Minis info

Post by stouts »