lager question

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

lager question

Post by dartedplus »

With this latest batch being my first lager, I have a question...or two.

First, my laundry...errrr....lager room is at a cool 49*. Does a lager have a slower, less active primary ferment than an ale??? I have a bubble every 3 seconds.
Second, since it is a bottom fermenting yeast, when I leave behind all the schmeg when I transfer, will I be leaving too much viable and necessary yeast behind, or will the live active yeast be in solution????

curious
Ed
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Lager answer (maybe) ...

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Ed,

Greetings, I recall that 45F is the optimum temp. for most lager yeasts, I say most , there are exceptions. I live in SC, so in the heat of the summer our house stays at around 68-70 (centrl air) and I don't have access to a chest freezer with temp controller (yet anyway, working on it) I ferment my lagers at room temp with no adverse effects. I do know that in the winter when my garage stays at a comfy (lager temp) of 45-50F I put my carboy out there and the fermentation does slow, so I think you are on the right track.

All in all I don't get too concerned that my lager yeast is at room temp, Good luck and let me know how you make out OK. "Don't worry have a home brew".
Regards,

Paul.
HomeBrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

lager fermentation...

Post by HomeBrew »

I haven't made a great many beers using a lager yeast, but I do believe that they ferment at a slower rate than an ale yeast. Whether this is primarily a phenotype of the yeast strain or a consequence of the colder temperature (would an ale yeast be that much more vigorously evolving CO2 at 49F?) I don't know; I suspect it's a combination of the two.

I assume you're asking if you'll carry over enough yeast during transfer to a secondary for conditioning? Or even during transfer for bottling? The answer is yes. Short of filtering the beer, it's extremely difficult *not* to carry over adequate yeast during any transfer stage, even if it's bottom fermenting.

Good luck!
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

thanks

Post by dartedplus »

thanks for the info, i thought i was on the right track, but wanted to be sure
ed
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

lager/steam beer

Post by fitz »

lager yeast does not have to brew at lower temps.
I try to use lager yeast in the winter, and ale yeast when the temps are warmer to "try" to keep the yeasts at their optimal temps. However,there used to be a very popular style, and with homebrewing, is making a comeback, called steam beer. Californians used to brew lager beers at ale temps, because they didn't have refrigeration, and the brewmasters were from origins that always brewed lagers. They found they liked this version, and so did many others. I myself like beers of all shapes and sizes, especially european and homebrews.