sparge water conundrum

Physics, chemistry and biology of brewing. The causes and the effects.

Moderator: slothrob

Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

sparge water conundrum

Post by Fraoch »

recently i have been trying to get my sparge water as close to the PH value of the run off, ie 5-5.2.i sparge with nearly 30ltrs waterand have been using the same additives that i would use in the mash(Ep salt, lactic acid),the mash is no problem as it pretty much looks after itself, indeed i dont need to add anything in some circumstances.The problem lies with the sparge liquor. My water has a PH value of 8-9,it takes quite a bit of lactic acid to bring it down to say 7 and even more ep salt,i was better when i left it at its original value as the additives are coming through on flavour. Anyone got a better way to adjust the PH to a more acidic level? I guess any acid will do, but when you get past neutral(7)it starts to flavour, i was thinking hydrochloric,citric - but then id get citric tang right?or copious amounts of ep salt - then im on the toilet!!!!!and why the hell is drinking water so alkaline anyway???
Thanks in advance for any help - i only log on once a week or so, so ill get all the threads later some time - just wanted to let you all know im not being rude by not replying soon.

Cheers all, Fraoch
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

food grade phosphoric

Post by Gravity Thrills »

Food grade phosphoric acid is much more flavor-neutral than lactic. Also, when heated, even your pH 8-9 water should have a functional pH somewhat less than that (I don't really get the chemistry that makes it so, in my case boiling to precipitate out the carbonate hardness brings it down). At any rate, I only need a few ml of 10% phosphoric acid to get my heated sparge water to 5.5.

Cheers,
Jim
noblehops

Boil?

Post by noblehops »

If you have not tried it already I would suggest pre boiling your water to allow the solids to fall out once cooled
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

Filtered

Post by Fraoch »

I filter all my water prior to use through a .001 micron filter,this necessitates the nead to boil, which i used to do.When filtered and then boiled there are no solids present when cooled. Ill try the phosphoric next time. I think my water may contain "buffers" which i am led to believe are extremely difficult to remove.I may just have to neutralise to ph7 and leave it at that, at least it wont alter the flavour profile.Just to add, it may be my imagination, but im sure my yeast performance is much better when the final wort sits at ph 5 or so,anyone shed any light on this????
Thanks for your replies,
bottoms up!
Fraoch
HomeBrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

filtered vs boiled

Post by HomeBrew »

Filtering water through a 1 micron (BTW, I assume that's what you mean, 1x10^-6 meter or 0.001 millimeter = 1 micron (
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

citric

Post by dartedplus »

i use food grade citric acid, and it doesnt take much. for 6 gallons i used a mere 1/4 teaspoon to get from 8.1 down to 5.36, and i think it was less than that amount. i haven't noticed any citric tang either.

ed