degrees extract

Discussion and topics about BeerTools.com online calculators and other tools.

Moderator: jeff

Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

degrees extract

Post by Fraoch »

can anybody give me a web address where i can get the degrees of extract one can expect for 1kg malt. in particular the darker malts, ie black patent.i seem to have a lot of half information regarding this aspect, this leads to a certain amount of hit and miss when it comes to formulating recipes. ive searched the web but to no avail, and different books give differing amounts. Any help?
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Volume of water?

Post by jeff »

1 kg of malt in what volume of water? Also, are you looking for
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

volume

Post by Fraoch »

cheers for the reply, i used to work on 1lb to 1gal but i found that the sums didn't quite match when converted to metric. im quite happy to equate in imperial but living in australia i find that im the only one who does this. Also, even my home country, England no longer recognises the old "Dave Line" system of equating mash efficiency. What's Plato?
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

specific gravity

Post by Fraoch »

looked at plato and it all seemed a bit complicated for my purposes, i'll study it later. what im really looking for is the theoretical amount of extract achieved for each grain at say 1kg to 1litre water in specific gravity. i used to work on 30 degrees extract for pale malt in 1 gallon of water and then equate thatto specific gravity.The problem i found when converting these figures to metric is that i couldnt get the same SG, and for a beer of OG1050 it could be out by as much as 1009. The figures i have been using come from "Dave Lines, Big Book Of Brewing". He doesnt give degrees extract for all grains ie; chocolate, patent etc and i suspect that there is a certain amount of rounding up or down which is fine, except it doesnt take too many subsequent equations to throw the whole thing out.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

A few points that may help.

Post by jeff »

When calculating the theoretical potential extract for one pound of grain in one gallon of water, don
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

cheers!

Post by Fraoch »

thanks for your help, ill go through a few recipes with the equations soon. It has to be more accurate than the sums i was using!Hpoefully i can now check metric recipes more accurately before actually brewing them. Once again, thanks.