more store info again please

What is happening in the world of brewing? Competitions, festivals, seminars, tastings and club events. Personal experiences and victories.

Moderator: slothrob

stouts
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

more store info again please

Post by stouts »

Ok , I'm placing my order on Monday(Brewstore opens Dec 14th) and I will be limited at first as to what Grains I will carry.
What are the most needed grains on a limited basis?
thanks again
Jay
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

What I Use

Post by l48shark »

My favs (extract brewer):
20*L Crystal Malt
Chocolate Malt
Cara-Pils
A little wheat always helps head retention.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Cheers,
Ford
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

My HBS

Post by jayhawk »

My HBS is quite small time. He's managed to make a go of it for the last 5 years. This is what he carries: 2 row, ESB, pilsner, munich, vienna, wheat, carapils, honey malt, carastan, crystal, chocolate, black patent, roast barley. This covers the whole spectrum, which I feel is a good idea. You don't want customers to be restricted in what types of beer they can brew when they shop at your store. However, he does have the advantage of being attached to a micro, so I am sure he gets good malt prices. If I was close by to your place, I would come down. Instead I will wish you all the best. Good luck.
Chris
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Yeast

Post by Freon12 »

Jay, I am considering producing and selling yeasts in the coming new year on a commercial basis.
I have been hoarding lab equipment for some time now and as soon as the Cyro unit is in, I'll be ready to start.

If you gain information on the most popular or the most wanted but can't get yeasts we may want to use you as a "test" distributor.(which would mean you have no out of pocket exspenses to stock or drop ship).

I already have a couple of Micro's that would support this service at 15 barrel volumes for storage of house yeasts and made to order production.

Let me know your thought on this.

Steve
stouts
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

O.K.

Post by stouts »

Sure,
sounds good,
let me know if I can help in anyway.
Jay
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

one last thing

Post by stumpwater »

I don't know if this will apply to you or not Jay as I don't know how well stocked you will be, but my experience as a retailer tells me to do some things really really well rather than try to do a bunch of things really really poorly. One way you get loyal customers. The other way, you end up with a bunch of stock that sits around and doesn't sell. One last thing to think about. If it isn't selling and you risk being stuck with it, then put it on sale and get it off the shelf. It is better to lose a little on it rather than count it as a complete loss. This is a great way to get customers to try new things as well, since they risk less if the cost is lower. Just a couple thoughts.

Good luck!

Stefan