Proper Fermentation Temperatures

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

maxhdcse

Proper Fermentation Temperatures

Post by maxhdcse »

I'm looking for a table of temperatures, ie., in a carboy, you would ferment pale to amber beers at 72'F, or in a Primary with a dark beer, 78'F is best, etc.

Thanks!
maxhdcse
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

It

Post by jeff »

Fermentation temperature is maintained to keep yeast happy. It has little to do with beer color. For example, you may have a dark lager like a Bock beer that requires lagering at low temperatures with a lager yeast. Or you may be brewing a light pale ale that requires a higher temperature while using an ale yeast. The yeast company should provide you with ideal temperatures to maintain while using a particular strain of yeast. Try to use only high quality liquid yeast cultures.
maxhdcse

It's the yeast - but do yeast die?

Post by maxhdcse »

What about if the temperature drops? We have wood heat, and no matter how hard I beat my roommates to keep a fire lit it wouldn't happen to save their lives, so, while I sleep the temp might get down to 58-60'F, then rise back to 75 or so mid-day. Is this -bad- or is it just slowing down fermentation or carbonation? I'm having problems carbonating the darn stuff, in particular with an amber wheat and a chocolate malt porter.

Thanks!
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Sometimes the ideal is not practical.

Post by jeff »

Sometimes we have to work with less than ideal circumstances. Here are some practical solutions (my opinions, take
Davedownunder

lagering

Post by Davedownunder »

Jeff,

Just thought I'd jump in to this conversation.

I'm fairly new to homebrewing and I've been reading some conflicting theories on secondary fermentation and lagering. I want to make a German/Euro style pilsner and I'm using cool lager yeast. Some books suggest 2-4 weeks lagering (after bottling) at close to 0 degreees (Celsius) while others mention putting the bottles in a warm place after bottling to kick off the secondary fermentation. Which is the better approach (or is there a good combination) to achieve a clean crisp pilsner style?
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Only done ales

Post by jeff »

I regret to say that I only have experience with brewing ales, thus I haven