Stumpwater, please send hop information

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

Stumpwater, please send hop information

Post by Brewer2001 »

What type of climate are you in? Which types do you grow? Where can I get root stock?

I have been thinking of this for a while. I have the land but I am not sure about the climate.

Thanks for the info,

Tom
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

got what you need!

Post by stumpwater »

Hey Tom, here is the info I have on hops. Hope that it helps. Careful though, or you will become a hop head. I am actually considering a road trip to Oregon for the hopnation hopmadness festival next year. Oregon is a long drive from here!
1/ I am in growing zone 5 (Southwestern Ontario, Canada). I understand that hops grow better in warmer climes, but I do know successful growers in this area.
2/ I grow cascade/ willamette/ hallertauer
The reasoning behind these types for me was simple...availability. In Canada it is difficult to get hops as customs hits them hard on duty. The only supplier I found in Canada only had 5 varieties avaiable. I chose the types based on what I use in brew or in the case of the cascade, I wanted to try something new. I wish I had kent goldings and galena as well, but they may come some day down the road. This is only my first year growing and I didn't get any useable quantity. Hops are rhyzomes though, and I expect that means they will be fairly prolific in their growing habits. (grasses and vinca are other types of rhyzomes)
3/ In Canada roots stalk can be bought from Richter's, a large supplier of herbs and perrenials. go to www.richter's.com for ordering. One problem for American buyers is that USDA regulations do not allow the importing of hops. You will have to use www.freshops.com
I think that this is a benefit for stateside buyers though as Freshops has many varieties and great information on how to get growing. I would have ordered from them but as I mentioned, Canada customs would have added another $15 bucks to the cost of each rhyzome. I bought 6 rhyzomes at $7 bucks each plus shipping. I went with the limitations on the varieties at Richter's.

Some other sites to look at for good hop information are www.hopunion.com and http://www.rce.rutgers.edu/burlington/hops.htm

Good luck in your search! My plants are still at the very cute small stage, but hops can grow up to 25 ft. tall! Now that is a cool vine, eh?

Stefan