Fermenting

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

axslinger
Light Lager
Light Lager

Fermenting

Post by axslinger »

Another newbie question. I just graduated from a Mr. Beer kit (don't laugh) to using a 6 gallon bucket complete with airlock! :) The first day or so the airlock was going nuts. After the first 24-36 hrs. the bubbling has pretty much stopped. Is this normal?

Brian
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Sure

Post by Freon12 »

Take a gravity reading and see where you are at.

Ales can be finished in two days due to healthy yeast. I bet I smells really good about now, yea thats it.

If you still don't know, you'll just have to send it in to "the committe" for evaluation, maybe we can save it! ;)

Steve

P.S. be careful about what tempreture you are fermenting at, too high of a tempreture will change the taste and type of alcohol you produce for the worse.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Yeastie Beasties

Post by BillyBock »

Yep, it's quite possible for it to be complete. Which indicates they were at an elevated temperature or were really very happy in your wort. High temp. fermentations allow the yeast to discharge undesirable compounds, such as fusels which are higher-order alcohols and responsible for headaches. It may have a "fruitier" tinge as well. Take a gravity reading and see where it's at to determine if its done. BTW, what temp did you ferment at?

Cheers!
Bill
axslinger
Light Lager
Light Lager

Update

Post by axslinger »

Steve,

I took a reading this morning (Tuesday) and it's at about 1.014-1.015. Started at 1.042. I burned my nose hairs when I smelled it. Plenty of C02 I'm guessing. Also, it may be a little warm in the closet where I have it. Would it do any good to move it to a cooler location or is it too late for that?

Brian
axslinger
Light Lager
Light Lager

Temp etc.

Post by axslinger »

Bill,

I believe the temp is at around 75-80. The S.G. reading was 1.014 this morning.

Thanks!

Brian
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Temp Effects

Post by BillyBock »

Yep, I think the temp's the reason for your fast activity. The fermentation itself will generate heat on top of the ambient temp. So you can expect the temp of the ferment to get 5 deg F warmer. Ideally, you want the ferment to be between 65F-70F, this will reduce the off-flavors. When you rack to the secondary, give the beer a whiff and see how it smells. If it smells "alcoholic" or "solvent-like" you probably have fusels in there.

v/r
Bill
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Fusal

Post by Freon12 »

Well it looks like she may be real close to final gravity.

What tempreture was the closet?

What yeast are you using?

And what type of beer are we talking here?

Steve

P.S. Don't light a match or nothing.
Only one way to find out how it turned out.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Don't light a match!

Post by Freon12 »

Just kidding :)
I'm gonna ditto Bill.

Steve
axslinger
Light Lager
Light Lager

The beer

Post by axslinger »

The closet could be as high as 80 degrees but is probably closer to 75.

The beer was just some stuff I had left over. I wasn't shooting for anything in particular. 3.3lbs of Tripel hopped LME and 2lbs. of Muntons Plain Amber DME and 1lb. of "Maltodextrin" (Mr. Beer calls it Booster).

Brian