New Project

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

New Project

Post by Freon12 »

Now that the weather will force me to the garage, I think I'll build a brewing tower. Three tier with three burners.

I am also going to move to 10gal batch due to the fact three used 40qt stainless steel heavey gauge pots with handles and lids ended up in my possesion($45.00ea).

I need to define the scope and budget to keep myself under control but also give some automation to make my brew day faster and easier.

I am sure that I want automatic mash tempreture control and sparge water tempreture contols.
Basically electronic ignition and selinoid valves for two of the three burners. I also want gravity for transfer to avoid pumps. It will be based on Stpats rack and morebeer's controls.

The pots are unmodified, I want to be sure before doing anything to them.

I think 1/8" angle will be the frame and I have ordered two burners to add to the turkey fryer I use now. A little piping on the frame and I can use the one regulator. Sort of a "Mr. Beer" gone robot.

Freon "coming to a basement near you"
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

10gal batches in 40qt. pots?

Post by Gravity Thrills »

Whooee, you are gonna have some boilovers! I do 8 gallon boil volumes in 15.5gallon converted kegs and I still get a little boilover once in a while.

Good Luck!
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

nice Freon!

Post by stumpwater »

Sounds like a beauty set-up but I am a little concerned the Dexter persona has taken over a part of yer brain. Good brewing buddy!
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Some Suggestions... Go Natural & Alternate System Layout....

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Freon;

When I was last in your garage, I thought I noticed you have natural gas in your garage supplying your furnace, so why not add a gas tap and a service valve ?

Natural gas supplies by far more BTUs and burns much cleaner. The added advantage is that it operates at higher pressures. Read... uhh...uhh... MORE POWER !!!.

I bought 3-21 jet cast iron natural gas burners rated at 220,000 btus not long ago. These babys are configured in a circle with the brass jets offset in a concentric pattern. You have to regulate their output very carefully when mashing, but for hot liquor prep and kettle boils, they can't be beat.

You also eliminate the hassle and greater expense of using propane cylinders as well as increase safety and space by not having a bunch of cylinders and hoses around.

I seem to remember these burners were in the $ 60 area. They can be connected in a typical 1/2" black pipe gas train that will easily accomidate solenoid valves.

Also... if you lay out the valving correctly, you can get by with one pump and make the system all on one level. I did this for safety and flexibilty on my system which was built from welded and bolted unistrut channel which is light, sturdy and quickly collapsible. I just couldn't get comfortable with the idea of lifting grain to the mash tun and doing a proper dough-in with hot water while standing on a ladder. By using a pump, you can build a grist hydrator cheaply and dough in while standing on the floor.

A loop can be installed with the simple addition of two valves, a short piece of pipe and a sight glass or clear tubing to function as a vorlauf (recirculating) circuit to clarify the wort, here again, with the same pump.

To perform the sparge, the same piping that supplies the hydrator can be used to support a drip ring or rotating sparge arm that is served by the same pump to introduce sparge water.

The piping layout is actually pretty simple. I have a drawing of what I did somewhere that I can get to you if this interests you. The stainless pump I used was one the you are no doubt familiar with... a Grundfos SS, in-line circulator designed for hot water heating applications. Grainger sells them as do many better supply houses. I got mine for about $ 120. They run INCREDIBLY quiet and are very reliable.

Just passin' gas & pumpin' !

Carpe Brewski !

Eric
bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

parallel journey...

Post by bredmakr »

WOW! I just put together the measurements for my 3 tier design that is modified from a B3 system and ordered the angle iron 2"x2" by 3/16 thickness. Going to cut the pieces and weld it all together at my buddy's house in two weeks. It would be sooner but with the holidays coming schedules are tight.

Anyway, killer idea. I'm going to use one pump and gravity to move the liquids. I'm also going to build in a collapseable platform to reach the mash tun.

The digital controls are a dream. I would like to add those in the future but need the time to figure out the components needed. Are you going to buy the controllers ready off the shelf or build them yourself?

Good luck with the construction!
Mike
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Controls for every budget

Post by Freon12 »

I am considering buying digital controls "off the shelf" from Johnson Controls(A19 series).
They have a thermal well that mounts in the tun like a weldless thermometer would.

They have mechcanical controls that use a well also, but the prices are coming down for the ones with display about $49.00ea.

Draw back----With auto tempreture systems you need a gas valve with pilot or spark ignition$$$$

I'm thinking about a 4500watt electric water heater element for the hot liquor that could be controlled with a contactor off the tempreture control.(Cheap).

If you want anything like drawings or have any control realted questions, just ask.

I have scratched the stainless frame idea and also x-nay on the natural gas-ay, and thanks guys for the hot tub angle, it almost worked.

Still on the drawing board for another two weeks.

Still thinking though...I like the single tier idea Mesa has.(And yes, Mesa was in my garage!)

Steve...Backing away from myself now :)
bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

check these out...

Post by bredmakr »

if you haven't already come across this site CHECK IT OUT!http://pub9.ezboard.com/fbarleysforume. ... =184.topic
100 photos and descriptions of homebreweries. Three, two and one tier designs.

I'm going with a condensed three tier to save space and use only one pump. When I get to the controllers I'll call on you again for info. $49 is WAY cheap.

Mike