Christmas Gift Idea

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

Christmas Gift Idea

Post by l48shark »

My wife and I were wondering what kind of gift we could give our many neighbors and friends for Christmas that wouldn't ruin us financially (particularly with a baby due Christmas Day), but would be cool. We decided on a beer batter kit. I am brewing and bottling a batch of brown ale. My wife is going to bag some beer batter (available at any grocery store or we will make our own) and we are going to wrap up the flour mix, an onion, and a beer in a nice package and hand them out. Not bad, eh? Feel free to plagiarize this idea and spread holiday cheer. :-)

Cheers,
Ford
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Economics at its best

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Ford,

I love the idea of giving crafty gifts as you are doing. I will be handing out mixed six packs to my closest friends. They love my beer and always find an excuse to come over for something (I know it's the beer I just don't tell them) LOL ...

Santa is getting on my wish list wine making equipment / ingredients. If I can make the two libations that I enjoy better than I can buy Voila' I'll be a happy man. If the wine comes out as good as my wine making buddies say it does (They say for less than $2.00 / bottle, you get $15+ / bottle quality) I'll be giving out mixed pacakges of both next year. The only draw back is I'll have to make more beer ... Darn :-)

Happy Holiddays to you and yours.

Paul.
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

Wine

Post by l48shark »

Paul,

Your friends are right. I do not drink much wine, but my family sure does. I make the Wine Art kits. The cost is $45 for a kit and it makes 30 750Ml bottles. It is pretty good too. Sure beats paying $10+ per bottle at the liquor store! And it is easy! No boiling required. Just throw the concentrate and some water in the primary, follow some simple directions on certain days, bottle and enjoy!

Some advice: Don't go cheap on your corker. I picked up a sturdy floor corker by Ferarri for about $80 and it rocks. It is light years ahead of the little plastic toys you would otherwise end up with. One other bit of advice: Get a stirrer that hooks up to your electric drill and do not forget to de-gas your wine before bottling or it will blow the corks. I almost had that happen and had to open and re-bottle the whole batch to prevent it. No fun!

Good luck and happy holidays to you as well.

Cheers,
Ford