Quick Christmas Beer Recipe

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Kilerclown
Light Lager
Light Lager

Quick Christmas Beer Recipe

Post by Kilerclown »

Im looking for a recipe for a holiday beer that will be ready in time. Im assuming that I will have to go easy on any spices since they wont really have enough time to mellow out...any suggestions?
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Mosher Gingerbread Ale...

Post by Gravity Thrills »

Randy Mosher had a column in the January2K2 "All About Beer" Magazine called "The Twelve Beers of Christmas." A few of them are pretty involved and might require more maturation time than you are looking for. But his suggestion for a spiced brown ale might be what you're looking for. Hae says start with a base brew that is a soft brown (i.e., malty, lightly hopped w/no aroma hops, southern England vs. Northern Newcastle style). That's one of my fav "house styles" so I think I'll try this for the holidays as well.

His gingerbread grut (for 5 gallons), to be added at the very end of the boil, calls for 1 ssp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp star anise, 1/2 cup crushed juniper, and a pinch of black pepper.

If you give it a shot keep us all posted.

Brew Like You Mean It
Jim
Kilerclown
Light Lager
Light Lager

Thanks

Post by Kilerclown »

I have a clone recipe for Newcastle so maybe I will brew that and then add the cinnamon, a touch of anise and a bit of nutmeg...I will let you know how it turns out
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Spice the mash?

Post by jayhawk »

I was going to brew a browny for Xmas, so I will give this one a shot too. What do you think, should I spice the mash?
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

mash it up

I'm sitting writing this while sipping some recently kegged mash-hopped wit, and I think I could really become a believer (Thanks, Mesa, for turning us on to this!).

Just remember to DOUBLE all those spice amounts and 1/10 to the kettle at the end of the boil to augment the aromatics (did I get it right, Mesa?). I actially went with 1/8 of all my spices in the copper for the wit, which seems to be have worked out well.

Cheers,
Jim
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Mash hopped wit

Post by jayhawk »

Did you through hops in the mash with wit, or just spices? My mash hopped PA really came around over the last couple of weeks. I think I will try the technique with a simple 2-row and hops recipe to really get a feel for how the hops come through. That's on the list after the gingerbread brown.
Chris
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

no hops in the mash "hopping"

I didn't add hops to the mash with teh spices, but only because the recipe called for bittering hops only with no flavor/aroma additions. if I needed late addition hops for the style I certainly would have put them in the tun.

I'm encouraged to hear your mash-hopped pale is aging nicely. I remember you initiallly thought the aroma componet wasn't there. I'f liek to hear more impression on that brew, and on any others you try.

Jim
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

It will be awhile

Post by jayhawk »

I don't have plans for another mash hopper anytime soon, but I will probably do another one before the end of the year. It is an interesting technique, one that I would like to explore more. I do add comments to the recipe on this site. If you want to see them, search "Mash Hopper". I will probably add another comment this week to keep things updated.
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Christmas Cranberry Rye

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Go to the recipe page and search for Azorean, there you will find my recipes, I made the Christmas Cranberry Rye yesterday, and it tastes great before I add the yeast, I'll primary on the 17'th. and bottle on the 24'th, that gives me planty of time before the Holidays.

Good luck,
Paul.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Rye source

Post by jayhawk »

Where do you source your rye malt from?
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Rye Malt

Post by Azorean Brewer »

I received mine from Hombrew Adventures in Charlotte, I also read that rye can be sticky, so it is not recommended to use over 10-15%.