Uni-tanks

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

alemiester

Uni-tanks

Post by alemiester »

Has anyone had experience using the small 7 gallon stainless conical ferminters available? I am having good luck using carboys, but would like to simplify the brewing process and reduce the risk of contamination or oxidation. This seems to be a good solution, but would like input before spending that much money.
jshkst

Fermentap

Post by jshkst »

there is a kit that converts a 5 or 6 gallon carboy in to a conical fermenter. Its only about $25. its from Fermentap and thier website is fermentap.com
alemiester

Fermentap

Post by alemiester »

Have you used the Fermentap system? It all looks good, but would like to hear some references on how well it actually works. Does it clog easily?
jwkempo

Fermentap

Post by jwkempo »

I own one. It's o.k. nothing more. The yeast settles on the shoulder of the carboy.
So you have to "twist" the carboy back an forth, to get the yeast to settle.
I also lost a lot of beer, trying to clear off the trub.
TTTony
Light Lager
Light Lager

Fermentap

Post by TTTony »

I've seen pictures of it. I was wondering about the settling problems. Thanks for the candid review. You'll save us all some money.
maltvault
Light Lager
Light Lager

Mini-Brew

Post by maltvault »

Last year my lovely wife bought me a Mini-Brew conical from the homebrew shop for about $100.00. It's a plastic conical; please save snickering for last :-), holds 6.5 gallons; easily enough to make a FULL 5 gallon batch, is alittle over 3' tall, and has two stainless ball valves for trub removal; bottom, and hydro readings; about 10" up the side of the 45 degree slant. The system works great. The plastic is a polymer that is alittle more than 1/8 inch and alittle less than 1/4 inch thick; use a standard rag to clean and it will never scratch. Every thrid time I use a cleaner, but normally alittle bleach does fine. The only thing is that the trub tends to stick to the slanted walls, but a few taps with the handle of a kitchen knife knocks it loose real quick. It has a BIG hole at the top for easy cleaning, and all edges are rounded for easy cleaning. Anyhoo, for a one bedroom apartment, shallow in the pocket book, brewer like me it's a WINNER!!!! Stainless rules I know, but the other is a usable solution.

Good Luck,
Malt Vault
bobcat

make another batch

Post by bobcat »

The Fermentap looks very good on paper but actually works very poorly. The sides are not steep enough to have the trub truly settle to the bottom. Your opening to remove trub is a racking tube which is entirely to small so it clogs easily and often. If you want something that will be a conversation piece and look impressive until you use it - buy it. Otherwise save your money and make another batch.
jwkempo

mini-brew 10 gal conical

Post by jwkempo »

I just ordered the mini-brew 10 gal conical $225. I already own their mash/lauter tun.
Why everyone gets so !@#$ crazy about plastic scratching,,,i don't know. What kind of stirrers are u using? A chain saw.
Stainless looks nice. I'll let u all know how the fermentor works after I use it.