Partial Mash???

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

CTGreat

Partial Mash???

Post by CTGreat »

Okay... so, i'm relatively new to beer making (only made 3 batches so far), and I understand "extract" and "all-grain", but what in the world does "partial mash" mean?? Thanks!!
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

Hey, I can answer that!

Post by stumpwater »

A partial mash is one in which some of the sugar is derived from a mash, such as in all grain brewing, and the rest of the fermentables are from an extract. The process of the partial mash is the same as a full all out mash except that you will only be collecting some of the wort from the mash. If you would like a transition from extract to all grain, this may be the way to go. Another way to add character to your extract beers is to use specialty grains and steep them like tea. Not all grain can be used this way as they don't all have enough diastatic power to convert themselves. For a list online of those that can and can't, try howtobrew.com

Good luck
Brad
Light Lager
Light Lager

Partial Masing is great!

Post by Brad »

Partial mashing allows you to use base malts, such as Munich and Vienna malt, that are not normally used in the production of extracts, thus producing flavors that you could not get from extract brewing alone. The equipment needed to begin partial mashing is also relativly inexpensive to obtain. The way I started was to buy a food grade plastic bucket and drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of it (be sure to deburr all of these holes) I then put this inside my bottling bucket,thus creating Chrlie Papazian's famous "Zapap Lauter Tun". As Stumpwater mentioned this is a great way to get into all grain brewing. Last months issue of BYO magazine ( byo.com) offered a complete article on partial mashing but I am not sure if they posted it on their site. Although I recently began all grain brewing I still enjoy partial mashing because of its simplicity.
CTGreat

Thanks!!

Post by CTGreat »

Thanks for your answers, guys! It's so great to keep learning more & more about the wonderful world of beer-making! I tried my first all grain yesterday, and, WOW... I think i'll back off a bit and try a partial mash next time (unless the all-grain comes out awesome, of course...)! :) Thanks, again!