My First Batch

What is happening in the world of brewing? Competitions, festivals, seminars, tastings and club events. Personal experiences and victories.

Moderator: slothrob

Liquid Blur
Light Lager
Light Lager

My First Batch

Post by Liquid Blur »

Hello Everyone,
I just thought that I'd post a thread about my first batch. Which I brewed last night. It's an Irish Red Ale. I have to say that it was even more fun than I thought. I felt like a mad scienetist on Halloween making my own special creation! lol Anyway, I put the cooled wort into a 6.5 gallon carboy around 8pm MST last night. Stayed up until about 11 with no activity. I woke up this morning and BAM! Huge krausen almost to the neck of the carboy. I haven't been able to stop watching it. Except for pulling myself away to type up this thread. I'm planning on brewing an APA again tonight. :) Thanks for always posting the best and most acurate info. Take it easy guys!
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

Awesome!

Post by stumpwater »

Sounds like you got the bug. It happened to me too after spending a week reading this forum. Life with good beer is sooo rewarding.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Maybe

Post by Freon12 »

We always make the joke about how we steered you wrong and that you must send the beer to me as soon as possible so I can taste...I mean test it.

Steve
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

test committee

Post by dartedplus »

I believe that I also signed up for the test committe, the address to send those beers to is...
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

Good going......

Post by Brewer2001 »

Blur,

Irish Red Ale is my signature ale. We will have to compare notes. I have a few suggestions. If you are using a carboy as a primary fermenter you may need to use a 'blow-off' tube until the yeast settles down (not required during the secondary).
ALWAYS COVER YOUR CARBOY TO PROTECT THE BEER FROM SUN LIGHT! Irish Ale is less hopped than most but sun light will distroy it. I cover my secondary with two black garbage bags. Cool your secondary out side or cold garage. This will clear the ale nicely. After you bottle (if bottle conditioning) warm the ale back up to room temperature for a couple of days before cooling for maturation.

Enjoy.....Good brewing.

Tom F.
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

Irish Ale

Post by l48shark »

Mmmm... Irish ale. I just finished brewing a batch a few minutes ago! (Recipe in the library, appropriately called "Irish Ale.") Can't wait!

Cheers,
Another Tom F. ;)