Wit Fina'

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Wit Fina'

Post by Freon12 »

I am casting my vote against the flour in the boil on the Wit.
It had too cloudy of an effect on the otherwise outstanding beer masking the orange color I was hoping for. I don't think it had any taste changes that I can tell.

I do think the mash amounts for the spices are right there and will file this recipe among my best.

Thanks all you contributors!(and you also Grav.)

Freon
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

cloudy forecast

Post by Gravity Thrills »

I'm glad to hear Freon's Wit Part Deux turned out well. Sorry I steered you toward the flour. I'm kegging mine this weekend, and it looks like I got a nice hazy yellow-white hue.

Did you step mash this time around or just infusion? With a 20-minute protein rest, I think the flour added back just enough haze to keep me authentic.

I'll have more to report once it's kegged, carb'd, and tapped.

Nunc Bibendum Est
(now it's time to drink)
Jim
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

glad I held back on the flour

Post by dartedplus »

From the sound of it, I am glad I held back on the flour. My wit is coming along quite nicely, although I wish I had used white wheat instead of the regular american wheat. As the color will be slightly darker than I had expected. It is almost 2 weeks and it is still producing small bubbles in the carboy, so I figure I will probably leave it in there for another week or so until I no longer have bubbles. I haven't tasted it yet, but it smells good.
Will update as time goes by.
Ed
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

American Wheat

Post by Freon12 »

I like the American wheat for some reason. It May be the color. Light orange seems authentic also to me.

I did step mash the brew at 122f after mash in at 90. The conversion was 154f which may be too high, but the first turned out so well I didn't mess with success.

The flour did not hurt the taste, only the look and color, it lightened the already light orange to a nasty looking super fuzzy whitish-orange.

It may clear, so we'll see. I'll try both ways next year to make sure ;)

Steve.
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

compare w/commercial e.g.?

Boy, that "nasty looking super fuzzy whitish-orange" description sounds like the style - except usually more whitish-yellow than whitish orange.

Get yourself a bottle or two of Hoegarden or other Belgian wit and pour one of those next to one of yours. sadly, Celis is not around anymore to compare, and I haven't had Blue Moon in a while but remember it was not as hazy as many of the Belgian versions.

Remember, this beer style is an old farmhouse style that was made for 200 years using very crude equipment and lots of raw wheat in teh grist because it was what farmers had on hand. The haziness became such an integral and expected part of the style that it was traditionally served in "crackware" - glass purposefully riddled a meshwork of cracks - to emphasize the haziness.

Your self-proclaimed fondness for American wheat may come to bear here. Crystal clear and light in color and body, they're well-made and safe as milk. But other than Grant's, most I have tried leave me wishing I was drinking a Bavarian weisse (mit heffe, natch') or a witbier instead.

Still, if the flour power batch doesn't cut it, I'll provide an address where it can be shipped to me for, er.., disposal :-)
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Bow to Thy wisdom

Post by Freon12 »

The beer has cleared to something I know recently!(blue moon).

What a Change!

I should wait 1 month and reserve judgement before I open my over active mouth.

I could at least send a picture to the E-mail if you want.( a bottle is also possible under the law for "testing").

Send the address to Harleyheritage@netzero.net

Hurry, while there is some left :)

Steve.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Swap Meet...

Post by dartedplus »

Do you think we should...
I would have no problem swapping with everyone, at least I think thats what you were alluding to.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Visual

Post by Freon12 »

I'll start with digital photo for now.

Steve
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

kegged it up...

But I also bottled up a six-pack in case the B.T. wit exchange occurs (and I think it should!). I'll send bottles to an "undisclosed secure location" (and hope that Dick Cheney doesn't intercept them).

My first impression of tyhe uncarbonated, finished wit was positive - definitly got the coriander going on, but hard to pick out any bitter orange (I admit my under-oranging is due to living in Fla, where people put way too much orange in most things just because it's expected). With a little forced carbonation, I sense a bit of moderate-harsh phenolic bite riding behind the characteristic desired phenolic flavor. I assume it is typical green-ness that will attenuate over the next week. My initial sense is that the style is a keeper!

I also kegged the bit player in the last brew session, the "Bitter English Extraction" extract brew. With some degree of satisfaction, I can report that it's pretty good but would have been better as and AG brew. The standout feature on this one is that it is the first time I have gotten around to using Wyeast London III, and I really like it. The malt accent in the first taste is dead-on Fuller's - something I have tried for and missed with London's I and II, Thamse Valley, and a few other Brit strains. Aybody have an idea if this is a Fuller's strain?

Cheers,
Jim
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Well...Deep

Post by Freon12 »

I don't know about the Fuller's, but if I were you I would reply to the e-mail above. Ed is on board and were shoving off soon!

Steve.

P.S. My wit orange flavor came alive in about a week of conditioning. Don't know what happens after three weeks, it hasn't lasted that long.oops. Ivan.