When to add Maple syurp

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

beef
Light Lager
Light Lager

When to add Maple syurp

Post by beef »

I was wondering when do I add the Maple syrup to my beer? I will be making a maple nut brown this weekend. I want a pretty strong maple flavor!!!!!!
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Sappy patch

Post by jayhawk »

I am a little out of my element today; commenting on subjects I have no experience on, but I just can't leave three unanswered posts alone w/o adding my spare change.
I would venture to guess that boiling the syrup for long periods would drive off a lot of the maple flavour and aroma that you desire. This happens when using honey, so I think syrup would be similar. Therefore, you want to minimize boiling, but also you need to mix the syrup properly into the wort and kill any bacteria. So, I suggest throwing the syrup in just before pulling the kettle off the burner. You will be able to mix the syrup in and have it dissolve properly, the bacteria will be killed by the short boil, and you will have minimal flavour and aroma loss by only having the syrup at boiling temp for a very short time.
Good luck
PS where can I see your recipe, and what is your syrup source?
beerbong

prime

Post by beerbong »

In the past I have put it right in the boil. Also, use about a cup to prime with.
Team Beer
Light Lager
Light Lager

adding syrup

Post by Team Beer »

I don't know if it helps but there is a local brewery who produces a Maple nut Brown and after taking the tour they indicated they simply add in the maple syrup in secondary without any special prep ( boil etc ).
beef
Light Lager
Light Lager

Thankyou but??????

Post by beef »

Did you get to try the beer? How was the taste of the maple? What brewery is it, I would like to ask them a question or too
Team Beer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Beer is good

Post by Team Beer »

In fact its their flagship beer. Maple flavor is very pronounced. Tommyknocker pub & Brewery Idaho Springs, Colorado. Website: http://www.tommyknocker.com .