attenuation at 68% what am I doing wrong???

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

attenuation at 68% what am I doing wrong???

Post by bredmakr »

Ok, the last three batches I've made have had poor yeast performance. My attenuation is averaging 65-68%. My original gravity on my last batch was 1.062 and the gravity yesterday was 1.020 at the time of racking to secondary. Temperatures are maintained between 66-70 degrees during fermentation and secondary for a week. I also add O2 at pitch time. Two 30 second bursts from my oxygenation system. Prior to O2 I pitch 1-1.5 qt starters at krausen. What can I be doing wrong?
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

what yeast? mash temp?

Post by Gravity Thrills »

What yeast strain are you using? Someone in a post a week or so back pointed out that an apparentlt poor-attenuating beer was probably just due to the profile of the particular yeast being used.

I assume the brews are all-grain? If so, could you be favoring the formation of more unfermentable dextrines with a starch conversion temp on the high side (154F or above)?

Add a teaspoon of Fermax or other yeast nutrient to your starter, and then another to your wort at pitching. I do it even for all-grain beers, since it adds things the yeast need that even an all-grain wort don't have in abundance.

Show that beer who's boss!
Jim
bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

mash was 154F...

Post by bredmakr »

That would make sense. I do a one step mash at 154F. I do not have the right equipment to do step mashes efficiently. Should I be mashing at 148-152 for more fermentables? The last batch I split into to 5 gal carbouys. Carb1 had White Labs English Ale WL007 and Carb2 had WYEAST American Ale #1056.
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

try it

Post by Gravity Thrills »

Yeah, maybe try mashing at 150F to maximize conversion to fermentables.

The WL007 yeast has a listed attenuation of 70-80%. Since they refer to this as their "dry ale yeast," it sounds like this one should attenuate well. Of course, 1056 is a great attenuator.

I'd also try doing a ritual fermentation dance the next time you put a beer into the carboy :-) Someone else on the board may have something more insightful, but invoking the household brew gods is always good to do.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Ditto

Post by Freon12 »

I had the same problem the last beer before that wonderful wit. Nuak nuak.

I found that my room tempreture was dropping off at night and causing my yeast to have a hangover the next day. The beer did finally finish, but after an additional two weeks! It seems fine after aging 2 weeks and I am happy with it.

Also you could test Gravity's theorey with corn sugar added to the fermenter, if it takes off again, he's right.

Freon

P.S. Could you do decoction to step mash with the boil kettle?
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

check that temp

Post by stumpwater »

Do you have absolute faith in that 154F temp? It is a little on the high side and if you are not calibrated really well, it could be 156F and you are missing the temp range all together. I use 152F and get very crisp ale. Just my two cents. Everyone else has everything I could add covered :)